Looking at a few different boat options - Opinions welcome

yakesm72

Cadet
Hi,

I'm looking at a few different boats and wondered if you all could chime in.

Option 1
1986 Chris Craft 196 Professional BR
4.3L Mercruiser Alpha 1. 4K

3rb3Md3qc5N25sd5F3d6udabab329640a1786.jpg

Option 2
1988 Celebrity Crownline Cuddy 21
3.7L Mercruiser, 4K

3F43I33Jf5I65Kd5Hcd4a570bfbea965714fd.jpg

Option 3
1989 Rinker Captiva Cuddy 205
4.3L Mercruiser, 5K

00k0k_6dK2q7f3YSw_600x450.jpg

Boat will be stored on a lift, primary use will be family of 4 tubing, swimming etc.
Need information on if these hulls are ply core or not and what your thoughts are on the powerplants and outdrives.

Thanks
Matt

yakesm72

Cadet
Re: Looking at a few different boat options - Opinions welcome

Typo on the Chris Craft. it has a 5.7L not a 4.3.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Those are boats for small lakes (as opposed to coastal or open water); is that your intended local?

Unless you are boating in cold conditions I think you'd want the open bow seating--you want as much open space as possible and those designs are cramped enough as is.

I have learned here that boats of that design and age are prone to major hidden structural deterioration, so look for a boat that has been well cared for and evaluate the seller to see if he seems both knowlegable and responsible. You are buying either his talents or his sins.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

My 2 cents, whichever one has the biggest motor and the most solid floor.

They are all Mercs so parts won't be an issue. The Chris Craft is significantly cheaper so I'm guessing it needs a little work. If the floors are soft, go another route.

The celebrity seems a bit under powered for that size of boat. You will never hear anyone complain of a boat being over-powered until you get into built up motors and they burn through the fuel at an insane rate.

yakesm72

Cadet

The boat will be located on a 8x1 mile lake with access to lake michigan. soft floors are a pass for sure I can't see more than 6 people tops on this at any one time and if there were it wouldn't be for very long as two would be in the water. I like the open bow design, but I also like the storage and amentities of a cuddy. My current thinking is nothing less than a 4.3 and mercruiser only. What is the WOT fuel consumption difference between the 5.7 and the 4.3? or is it so negligable that it shouldn't even be a consideration.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Fuel consumption is similar, 5.7 will run at 3/4 throttle to match the 4.3.

Stay AWAY from that 3.7.

yakesm72

Cadet

Point taken. Here is the new Option 2

1989 Celebrity 199 BR
4.3L Mercruiser, 4K

00808_ejmgWOWTdRl_600x450.jpg

tpenfield

Staff member

Brand-wise . . . Chris Craft is the stronger brand. However, those boats are all about 25 years old and could have structural issues (rot, etc), engine issues, electrical issues, etc.

So, you can get some opinions here, but to know the best of the bunch, you will have to do some investigation of your own when you actually see these boats.

I believe at that age/era, wood was the predominant structural material.

yakesm72

Cadet

I know this was an open ended question. But lets assume they are all in equal condition. No noted rot no dull thumps in the transom next to the bellows all run out well in an OTW trial. Which would be more desirable from a build quality standpoint?

tpenfield

Staff member

All things equal . . . Chris Craft. (IMHO)

Plus it is easier of the 3 to sell for when you upgrade. 'Cuz when you buy it, you gotta think ahead to when you will be selling it.

yakesm72

Cadet

Point taken. I failed to mention to this point. (from embarassment) that this is an upgrade from a 1985 Bayliner Capri (outboard). I actually want to enjoy using the boat not wrenching on it. I'm looking for an 80/20 not a 20/80.

yakesm72

Cadet

One more update, The Chris craft is 2000# dry, the Celebrity is 3050# dry. I would think the heavier the better construction-wise. Thoughts?

tpenfield

Staff member

My thought is that the weight may not be correct . . . seems light for a 20 foot ish i/o boat . . . particularly a 5.7 . . .

Chris-craft is more the 'Cadillac' of the boats you are considering. Celebrity and Rinker are 'OK-average'.

As far as construction . . . you will have to take a look at the guts of them to see the differences. If you have a buddy that knows boats bring them along.