Putting Alpha 1 Gen 2 outdrive back together

joysticks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, It's me again, Joysticks, previously had another question (which was answered very promptly tyvm) but need some advice:
I am at the point that I am almost done with replacing the bellows, having a little problem putting sleeve in u-joint bellows but got some tips from the forums, My question is-do I need to put more grease on/in the u-joint while I have the outdrive open, (I know I have to replace the gear lube), also is there a glue that I should use on the gasket.
(I am sure I will have more questions as I progress)
Thanks, Joyce

Last edited:
Re: Putting Alpha 1 Gen 2 outdrive back together

I believe the trick with the Gen2 bellows is to spray them with Mercruiser Powertune which helps hold it in place while you tighten the clamps. There should be archived threads describing the procedure.

Yes while the drive is out, grease the u-joints and the gimbal bearing. :)

joysticks

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thank you

joysticks

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so now I am putting the outdrive together and I turned the rotor and the spline didn't turn, what have I done wrong?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The Power Tune is a lube so the locking ring at the bell-housing end of the bellows is easier to slip in. Power Tune evaporates quite quickly and doesn't damage the rubber.

Depending on the year of the drive, your unis may not have grease points. If they don't you can't put any grease in them... :D

OK, putting the drive back together. Not sure what you mean by 'rotor' and 'splines'... Maybe yoke (shaft sticking out of the front of the upper housing. The one that goes into the back of the engine) and propeller-shaft maybe? (That's the one that the propeller goes on... :D :D :D)

If you're assembling the drive-shaft housing (upper) to the gear housing (lower), then just slide the drive-shaft housing straight down onto the gear housing. As there is no intermediate shift shaft to line up, it doesn't matter about having the gear housing in any particular gear. If the splines on the lower drive-shaft don't line up with the splines in the upper drive-shaft, then just turn the yoke slightly.

Once the 2 halves are back together and bolted up, then you need to turn the shaft shaft to engage a gear (forward or reverse). There is no detent or 'notch' when moving the shift shaft, so it doesn't have any feel to it going in and out of gear. To select forward, turn the shift shaft CW while turning the prop shaft CCW. Once Forward is fully engaged the prop shaft will be a lot harder to turn. To check that it's doing the right thing, turn the yoke in the same direction as the engine (CW looking from the front) and you should see the prop-shaft rotate CW (looking from behind the propeller)....

HTH,

Chris........

joysticks

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have messed that up royally. I was confused because I hadn't unassembled the lower drive. So I thought I was good to just put the outdrive back together w/o adjusting the gears. I put it together while the boat was in forward. now I am trying to adjust the shift cables on the engine while turning the rotor ccw, only it keeps going ccw (hasn't stopped yet, but cw it doesn't move far before stopping.)
Can I adjust the linkage in the engine? the lower shift shaft was the only one I took apart to change the bellows.
Please tell me I don't have to pull the drive again very embarrassed :embarassed:

btw have Merc 3.0 Alpha1 gen2
water no longer coming into the boat after changing bellows:lol:
having trouble getting that 6" for lower shift cable, would have to really turn that barrel hard (but I'm a girl, so thats relative

guy who dropped boat in for me said it was stuck in reverse

Please, I know you can help me so I can have some fun this summer :happy:

Last edited: