applying resin to fiberglass mat when doing stringers

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class
what is the easyist way i will have acess to a spray gun [cheap] or is it eaiser to roll it on ...

G DANE

Commander
Re: applying resin to fiberglass mat when doing stringers

Secure the stringers in place in boat, and prime them with polyresin if thats what your using. First make yourselves a little basin on a plywood board, i exa. 4' x 1' covered with plastic. Lay the pieces of cloth in there pour a little resin and wet them with a roller. Move them to stringers ( Gloves !! ) and roll them on. Thats what I learned after ruining my back, wetting everything on stringers with a brush. Make sure the pieces af clots overlap by a couple of inches.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

You dont really want to spray the resin on your stringers..unless you have a 2,000 airless sprayer<br /><br />yea..wet them out with a brush or roller. ( I prefer bush that way I can catalize my resin to just the right point ( am I using 1 qt or 1 gal. ) take it slow..have all your glass cut to fit before you lamintate..if it takes you 2-3 sessions to glass up your stringer..fine..just start your next lamiation after the glass reaches its hot point..then start laminating again..allways stop with your mat..and start with your mat. (unless your goin "fabmat") but id recomend that you put a layer of "mat" between your stop and starting laminates..thats why you might as well go with mat and woving.<br /><br />If you have hard glass when starting again..you MUST scuff your glass with 40g paper.<br /><br />If you reach a point in lamination that you put on a Heavy amount of glass then stop with mat and start over when all cooled off..( either start when glass is cooled but tacky..or scuff and start over begining with "mat"<br /><br />PS. your finish glasswork should have an additive called waxall. ( or some type of wax agent to make the final glasswork non-sticky .. unless you plan on GelCoating the glasswork afterwards..but if you dont need to Gel afterwards then "wax" your final resin coating.<br /><br />YD.

BillP

Captain

The top of stringers is the tough part because the glass wants to bubble at the turn. It can be done many ways. I normally do one of the following. <br /><br />The least pain in the axx for me...Laminate each side first and add a top piece wrapping down. <br /><br />The other way...Use thickened resin to hold the glass down. <br /><br />Another...use staples where it wants to bubble.