Prop for 4.3 mercruiser in 04 Tahoe Q4

fish hook

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Original prop was 14.25" x 21"P - I changed to a MW Vortex XHS 14.5" x 19"P and it worked much better for hole shots and quicker plane time. Unfortunatley I trashed this prop on a submerged log last week. I was thinking of ordering a 4 blade MW Vortex XHS 14" x 20"P. It says the 4 blade will improve plane time, better low speed control and hole shot. The only other 4 blade size I saw listed was a 14.5" x 18"P but I think this is too low of pitch for my taste - we mainly tube and knee board without a whole lot of concern for that extra mph top end. With the 19"P the boat runs 44mph on GPS at about 4,900rpm WOT in smooth river water running with the current. I'm afraid going much lower pitch will increase my top rpm's too much (never checked the stats with the 21"P). I'm wondering how the 1/2" decrease in diameter will affect it and ultimately how the 4 blade will perform??? oh yea - I'm talking aluminum props and there are no smart tabs on the boat in case it matters. Hope I gave enough info for someone to chime in. Thanks!

fish hook

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Prop for 4.3 mercruiser in 04 Tahoe Q4

read some other posts and after thinking about it myabe I do need to drop to the 18"P ?? I like the performance of the 3 blade 19P but like the idea of the 4 blade possible helping with the "wandering" at slow no-wake speeds plus keeping plane at slower speeds. I do not want to lose the hole shot that the 3 blade 19P offers. Still a little confused on which one to buy.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

if you are just tubing and knee boarding i would go with the same 19 you had or the 20p 4 blade. I'm guessing it will be a wash in hole shot. I'm guessing the 4 blade will give you close to the same rpm - say 4700 or a little less. I wish i could order one for my boat but they don't make any.

Last edited:

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

well an 18 4 blade would work fine as long as you watch your rpm... chances are it will over-rev - but if you keep the boat under 40 mph you should be fine. Does it bother you to watch the rpm ? , not sure if you have kids driving it too. Not sure if you need it unless you slalom ski - tubes and knee boards are a piece of cake to pull.

jestor68

Commander

Expect the 4 blade of the same pitch to run about 100 less rpm. If you're running 4900 with a 3 blade 19, the 4 blade 19 will still give better hole shot.