9.5hp evinrude compression

Andrew73

Recruit
I just checked my compression and both cylinders read 60. I know this is a low reading, not sure what it should be. Not sure what I should do next to correct the problem . Any ideas would be great

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: 9.5hp evinrude compression

I just checked my compression and both cylinders read 60. I know this is a low reading, not sure what it should be. Not sure what I should do next to correct the problem . Any ideas would be great

First of all, welcome to iboats :welcome: good to have you aboard...

I would check to see if your head gasket was good first. Those compression figures seem low. If the head gasket is not the reason, check the rings for being stuck. But I don't think it is going to run properly with out some intervention to correct those numbers...

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't worry 60 is OK for that motor it is a low compression motor.The main thing isd that that both cylinders should be equal or within 5-10%

Andrew73

Recruit

Both cylinders are equal. Problem is when the motor is drive I have no power and it wants to die when I give it gas.

Andrew73

Recruit

Thanks for the welcome. How do I check the head gasket?