Floor repair/replace

Thehustler

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 94 caravelle 2000 it has a soft spot on the floor in the back in front of the rear bench seat. This is my first boat so don't no much about it. Also the driver seat is loose and wobbles and is coming out if floor a little. What's the best way to fix these problems? Should I pull up carpet and refloor the whole section or just repair what's damaged. Thanks

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Re: Floor repair/replace

I hate to be the messenger of bad news but this is my opinion based on what I know from personal experience and from being a member of this forum for about 3 years. Boats ? usually ? rot from the bottom up and from stern to bow. If you deck is soft, most likely you stringers are gone first. The transom is probably gone as well. Do a thorough inspection by taking core samples from the stringers and transom. use an inch hole saw ? this is just my method ? to cut the glass layer (maybe 1/8 or ? of an inch) this will give you clear visibility on the wood core under the glass. Then use a drill bet (1/4 inch) and drill about ? an inch and collect the shavings. Gold and dry means good to go. Dark and wet is rot.
For the transom, try to do this at the lowest point you can reach.IMAG0713.jpgIMAG0687.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

DryDock2.jpg

Soft spots in floor are normally a symptom of other issues. It's always a good idea to post pics of the boat so the members here on iBoats can see what you see. Best way to post the pics is to open a FREE Photobucket account, upload your pics there and then use the IMG Code to copy & paste your pics into your iBoats post. Based on your description, at the very least you will need to remove the carpet and decking to see what is going on below. We can discuss the rest once we know what you find. Is this and I/O or Outboard boat?

WelcomeAboard.jpg

Thehustler

Seaman Apprentice

DryDock2.jpg

Soft spots in floor are normally a symptom of other issues. It's always a good idea to post pics of the boat so the members here on iBoats can see what you see. Best way to post the pics is to open a FREE Photobucket account, upload your pics there and then use the IMG Code to copy & paste your pics into your iBoats post. Based on your description, at the very least you will need to remove the carpet and decking to see what is going on below. We can discuss the rest once we know what you find. Is this and I/O or Outboard boat?

WelcomeAboard.jpg

It's an I/o and the soft spot is in the center in the back And the driver seat is loose a little at carpet. I will post some pics tonight