New to boats-About to buy older boat, have Q's

mrfjsf

Recruit
Hey all,

New to boating, a friend of a friend that has a 1991 Sunbird 218 Corsica with I believe a 5.0L OMC. Im pretty sure it has just under 250 hrs on it. The issue is, the boat has been sitting outside, uncovered for several years without being used. It was winterized before it was put away. He claims the boat runs great and doesnt need anything mechanical, it just needs major cosmetic love. The reason I am considering buying it is he is willing to sell it to me for $1000. He said he would hook up the hoses and show me that it starts and runs and the drive works.

I really dont know much about the mechanics of boats so is there anything I need to look for? If I do buy it, what maintenance would you suggest be done before it hits the water for a test run? I figure this would be a good project for me to get into to learn more about boats.

Additionally, I searched the interweb and could not find any info on the boat anywhere. I assume Sunbird is out of business. Are Sunbirds bad news?

Thanks for any info you all can provide!

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: New to boats-About to buy older boat, have Q's

the boat has been sitting outside, uncovered for several years

Sounds like garbage that he is trying to get you to pay to move for him.

Bondo

Staff member

Hey all,

New to boating, a friend of a friend that has a 1991 Sunbird 218 Corsica with I believe a 5.0L OMC. Im pretty sure it has just under 250 hrs on it. The issue is, the boat has been sitting outside, uncovered for several years without being used. It was winterized before it was put away. He claims the boat runs great and doesnt need anything mechanical, it just needs major cosmetic love. The reason I am considering buying it is he is willing to sell it to me for $1000. He said he would hook up the hoses and show me that it starts and runs and the drive works.

I really dont know much about the mechanics of boats so is there anything I need to look for? If I do buy it, what maintenance would you suggest be done before it hits the water for a test run? I figure this would be a good project for me to get into to learn more about boats.

Additionally, I searched the interweb and could not find any info on the boat anywhere. I assume Sunbird is out of business. Are Sunbirds bad news?

Thanks for any info you all can provide!

Ayuh,.... Sunbird was a bargain basement brand that's Gone, 'n OMC has been Outa business for Well Over a Decade,...

DON'T buy that boat,....
You'll be spendin' All yer time fixin' it, if ya can find the parts, rather than goin' Boatin',....

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe a 5.0L OMC. The issue is, the boat has been sitting outside, uncovered for several years without being used.

OMCs are generally bad news for new-boaters, because they are obselete (company is no longer around) and are hard to find parts for. The second problem, is sitting outside, uncovered, means more than likely you have rotten stringers, deck, and transom. If that is the case, that would be a huge project (ask me how I know :facepalm:)

LagunaBlue

Seaman Apprentice

If it has been sitting for several years how can the seller honestly say that "it runs great"? Sitting uncovered I'd be very concerned with floor, stringer, and transom rot due to water exposure.

OMC engine and drive - not the best combination. Parts are getting harder to find and are expensive.

You may be able to pick it up for $1000, however you may end up putting anohter $5,000 just getting in order. If you have access to a marine mechanic or boat dealer I would have them look it over; if the seller objects to that, run. Fast.

mrfjsf

Recruit

Wow, thanks guys, im glad I asked! I thought a grand for a boat that runs would be a steal. even if it needed work. Well, the search continues I guess! Any other "Older" Brands to stay away from? I would love a newer boat but its just not financially possible at the moment.

Thanks again guys, you're the best!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

You do not want to start your boating experience with a project. You need to pay for reliability.

Nothing "runs great" in a driveway; it merely starts. It can only "run great" in the water under a load. You need to test it yourself, or since you can't get a test run for many cheap boats, have reliable information about its actual operation.

As a starter you want a boat that is less likely to have hidden problems and something that ages well. That is NOT a fiberglass inboard/outboard fresh water bowrider north of Alabama. Look at aluminum hulls, self bailing decks, outboard motors, no carpet and something that has been stored bow up, plug out and motor down. It doesn't have to be pretty but it does have to be durable. The boat I described to get easily lasts 20-30 years; from what I've learned here, the ones I said to avoid fall apart after 15 years unless they have been meticulously maintained and stored.

There is no brand to avoid with old boats; you avoid poor maintenance and the types of boats not made for outdoor use. There are, however, brands and designs you can trust with age, such as Boston Whaler or open jon boats.

When you buy a cheap boat the purchase price is only the down payment. If you had bought that one for a grand, you would have put $5000 in it and ended up with a boat worth maybe two grand. If it had a good trailer.

Pay attention to how your seller takes care of things, both the boat and his other stuff. That is only relevant if he has owned it a while. With a used boat you are buying all the previous owners' good care and problems.

If you buy one today that "needs a little work" you won't be on the water for 6 weeks at least. How does that work for you?

I hope you were kidding with "interweb."

mrfjsf

Recruit

Of course I was kidding with the "Interweb"

Thank you for all the advice, I really do appreciate it.

After reading some of yalls posts, im thinking of switching gears from a "project" to a "turn-key" boat. Id rather spend my limited free time boating than fixing my boat. If that means, saving up for the next year, then so be it. Id rather have a nice boat next year, than a fixer upper this year. If everything goes as planned financially, that should put me in the $15K range, certainly I can find something "nice" in that price range.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

O Id rather have a nice boat next year, than a fixer upper this year. If everything goes as planned financially, that should put me in the $15K range, certainly I can find something "nice" in that price range.

Fixer-upper boats almost always cost MORE than a comparable decent condition boat in the long run. Rehabbing a boat isn't usually a cheap process, and when you are done, it rarely has any more resale value than a similar boat in good condition.

pckeen

Commander

For $15k, you should be able to get something nice - definitely a thousand times better than what you were looking at. Think about buying in the fall or winter if you can - you have a better chance of getting a good deal then. Also, consider looking for 'new non current boats' - you can sometimes get some fabulous deals.

airshot

Rear Admiral

You ay also consider an aluminium hull for your first boat as there is only a transom to rot and they are fairly easy to replace. Rivets leak but again they are not difficult to repair or replace. Try to stay with a brand name such as Starcraft, Sylvan, Lund, etc. As a first boat I would suggest an outboard rather than an I/O unless you are looking at larger craft. Older boats in fiberglass can be very expensive to reconstruct where alum is quite simple. Good luck on your search and do touch base here before spending your hard earned cash, we just might be able to help you save some cash or headaches.