Mercruiser 140 vacuum choke line replacement question

Wakesilver

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello-
I am trying to put the old girl back together. While clamping the cooling hoses back in place I noticed a couple of hoses to the carb looked out of place. One is a black one that fits perfectly between the valve cover breather and the carb. The other is coming out of the choke and heading (so I think) towards the small tube coming out between the block and manifold.
The choke side has what looks like a brake line and a cloth cover and is rusted on the far end with no clamps or visible means of connection to the tube on the block. For all I know this has been this way (unhooked) for years...

So, am I plumbing the choke the right way? Do I patch this with rubber line and hose clamps and get rid of the cloth?

Serial 296xxxxx on the block, carb is 1351-4293A1, choke is GM / Rochester.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 140 vacuum choke line replacement question

Hello-
I am trying to put the old girl back together. While clamping the cooling hoses back in place I noticed a couple of hoses to the carb looked out of place. One is a black one that fits perfectly between the valve cover breather and the carb. The other is coming out of the choke and heading (so I think) towards the small tube coming out between the block and manifold.
The choke side has what looks like a brake line and a cloth cover and is rusted on the far end with no clamps or visible means of connection to the tube on the block. For all I know this has been this way (unhooked) for years...

So, am I plumbing the choke the right way? Do I patch this with rubber line and hose clamps get rid of the cloth?

Serial 296xxxxx on the block, carb is 1351-4293A1, choke is GM / Rochester.

Thanks!

Ayuh,.... That's the Choke Stove line,... It moves motor heat to the choke to turn it off as the motor heats up,...

A rubber line will burn up, that's why it was metal,...
Small copper tubin' is easier to work with than steel, 'n will work just Fine,...
Btw,... the cloth is just insulation, 'n not all that necessary,...

Wakesilver

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Mercruiser 140 vacuum choke line replacement question

Thanks Bond-o!