Mercruiser 3.0L 4 cylinder drive/alternator belt replacement

Moose_25_2500

Seaman
First of all---- I want to say thanks to everyone for all the posts!!!This site is awesome and such an amazing tool for all boat owners. New owner here and I promise to pay if forward moving on...After reading all the posts I think I know why my belt was squealing on Sunday..its loose and my alternator pulley is rusty so I want to sand and paint the pulley plus change the belt ...Please see attached video somebody posted on youtube. Really helped me get a visual of my engine and how to remove the spacer and get the new belt on.

So my questions are:

1) Is is ok to do change the belt on the water? I was going to use a small sissor jack to hold the motor in place and get the belt changed as fast as I can. My boat is docked on a lake?
2) Can I sand and paint the pulley in place or does it have to be removed? Is taping and covering the alternator before painting with spray rustoleum the right move?
3) How hard is it to get the pulley off? do I need a special puller? Is it better to replace the pulley.... the part is only $12

Thanks for your help

Mercruiser 3.0L "V" belt installation - YouTube

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 3.0L 4 cylinder drive/alternator belt replacement

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... No jack needed, the other side of the mount will hold the motor,....

Ya, you can paint it on the alternator,... 'n, Ya, the pulley is pressed on,...