Re: alternator belt

cubnan

Recruit

I need some help with the 3.0LX Alpha one belt replacement. I've read all the information that has been provided by the previous threads and the information was very good and helpful. My problem is that the front pulley is too close to the front engine mount to either get the old belts off or the new bolts on. I tried using the jack technique, and this didn't help with the room problem.
My guess is that i'm going to have to get a pulley removing tool in order to create enough space.
Any further advice would be appreciated, but trust me i've tried all of the previous ideas and it all comes back to the space problem.

thanks

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Don't know a whole lot about 3.0's but I believe the harmonic balancer (that is what you are pulling) on many of them is pressed on and there is no threaded hole in the crank to re install them. So you may be able to get it off but may not be able to (easily) get it back on.

fishrdan

Admiral

Loosen the water pump pulley bolts so the pulley can rock back, and allow clearance for the belt. Remove old belt, install new belt, install a second spare belt, then tighten pulley bolts. (zip-tie spare belt out of the way, against front mount, so nothing rubs against it.)

If you disturbed (loosened) the bolts for the front mount, the engine alignment needs to be checked.............