Need Manual boatlift ideas

leon

Cadet
I need any plans, ideas, references, or websites to a manual boat lift capable of lifting 3500 lbs. I can think of ways to use winches and come-alongs, but I thought someone else might have a better idea or know where I could buy a manual lift to lift a 20' Wellcraft out of 20 " of water. My dock is so far form the power source (nearly 1200') that wiring cost is prohibitive for a power boatlift. Thanks for any help or ideas.

mtp

Cadet
Re: Need Manual boatlift ideas

Options- chain hoists with rollers, you can hook on and manually "lift". See grainger catalog for units -go above your pound rating, be sure chains are long enough for the needed "lift". I hope you have good muscles. Only problem with this is you need a monorail and pilings - corps of engineers and state permits these and building are time consuming and $$$. Check the back of boating mags for other lifts; also, see if a generator might be the way to go....they've really come down since the Y2K scare.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ahoy, Leon. Years ago I used to idle past about 3 miles of homes along the Dania Cutoff Canal to get to the IC and I was impressed by some of the creative methods of getting boats of up to 30' above high tide without complex, expensive lifts. What seemed most cost-effective to me were short ramps with trailers on hand-operated or vehicular winches. Most of the ramps were paved, but not all of them.<br /><br />The boater would let the trailer down the ramp on a cable, drive the boat on, then plug an electric winch into the boat system and winch it up the ramp, manually winch it up the ramp or use a vehicle to pull/winch it up. I think I would go for the vehicle towing or winching it up. If your boat is 1200' from power you are likely to take a vehicle to it anyway. <br /><br />Some of the trailers were fully equipped for the road, but many of them were bare-bones home-mades with no springs or lights.<br /><br />Maybe some variation on their systems would suit your needs.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />JB
smile.gif

SeaBear

Seaman

I am suffering from a language problem again because I am not familiar with boat lifts? Is it to simply lift the boat out or to lift it out and trailer it or something? If it is the former then I did see recently a lift which use air tanks - so you drive the boat into the lift frame and then fill the tanks with air and the boat comes out! OK - you want a manual method and hand pumping air would be a bit tiring - how about a portable gasoline air compressor?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Actually a fairly simple device. I rebuilt one a few years ago that operates manually with a large "wagon wheel" connected to a shaft that winds ropes and draws upon 4 block and tackle blocks. Makes short east work of lifting the boat. These lifts are very popular in Vermont and some use a 12V winch powered by your boat battery. Check out this local boat dealer's web site :http://www.woodardmarine.com/docks.htm<br />this will give you a start on which company to track down.

oly

Cadet

Leon - <br />I don't know your exact situation, but here is a website of the company that makes boat lifts. I use this type on my lake in Minnesota and it works great. The lift itself can only lift the boat ~ 10 feet from the floor, but you could figure out a way to install the lift on top of some other type of structure to accommodate the 20 feet of water. <br /> http://www.pierpleasure.com/

moshpitdj

Cadet

I have the same type of situation - I need to lift my boat up (at least off the trailer) to sand and primer and paint. I know I can build boat sawhorses (kind of), but really don't want to. I don't have anywhere that I can lift the boat from (it's outside, in the open). Any ideas?? I have a couple jack stands, but I'm leery about trying to support the boat at four points without something in between for bracing. In either case, I think I'd have to keep moving the bracing anyway, to sand and paint. Thanks

krosemond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I actually jacked my 20' boat off the trailer with a 5 ton hydraulic jack and supported it on cinder blocks. Three points, 2 at the stern and 1 at the bow. I had to keep moving the one on the bow to slowly roll the trailer out(because if the cross members) to take it and have the axles fixed. I was able to fix a lot of nicks and scratches on the bottom while the trailer was gone.

Check out www.sunstreamcorp.com They speciallize in high-speed, solar charged, remote controlled boat lifts. They have models that can lift almost any boat, almost anywhere. Some of their new models are not on the web site yet.<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />KH

fone_man

Senior Chief Petty Officer

They make various different boat lifts depending on your usage/weight...<br /><br />West Marine has great catalog with pictures and everything to give you ideas... their power boating catalog... go to thier website & order plus they have a variety of different options if you want to construct your own to suit your boating style!!!<br /><br />Hope you get it the way you want it!!! happy Boating!!!