Boat refueling on the water from 5 gallon gasoline cans . . . Regulations???

tpenfield

Staff member
Yea, so I did some searching here and found a few threads, but nothing definitive.

I refueled my boat (or should I say added a bit of fuel) this weekend on the water at its mooring with 20 gallons using 5 gallon cans. I have done it in the past on my other boat, and was remembering what a PITA it is.

Anyway, I thought to look on the Internet to see if there are regulations regarding refueling on the water from portable containers.

I know that spilling the fuel is a big no-no and using detergent to dissipate any spilled fuel is another no-no . . . but it seems there are no specific regulations regarding fueling from portable containers, nor where you can & cannot refuel.

I know most/all marinas have policy against that, but my harbor is all private moorings . . . no slips/marina.

So, my question . . . has anyone found anything in terms of written regulations either federal or state, that prohibit refueling a boat on the water from portable containers ??? If so, could you post a link. :thumb:

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Boat refueling on the water from 5 gallon gasoline cans . . . Regulations???

I would think it would depend on the state, but filling from gas cans is the norm for folks who live on most lakes around here. Very few lakes actually have fuel docks.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Boat refueling on the water from 5 gallon gasoline cans . . . Regulations???

call and ask the USCG

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I'm S u r e some bureaucrat has spent a lifetime writin' regulations 'bout it,...
probably includes weather restrictions, along with the color 'n size of the funnels allowed,..

Donno where you'd find it though,...

My guess is, it ain't illegal if ya don't spill any,.... :rolleyes:

NYBo

Admiral

That would be my guess also.

tpenfield

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I'm S u r e some bureaucrat has spent a lifetime writin' regulations 'bout it,...
probably includes weather restrictions, along with the color 'n size of the funnels allowed,..

Donno where you'd find it though,...

Yup, made sure it was a cloudy day and I used a red funnel to match the color of the gas containers :thumb: . . . no drops spilled and only lost my balance once, . . . but was wondering if the Harbor Master was to come sneaking up on me, telling me I wasn't supposed to be doing that. :eek:

Figured I should know 'the rules' . . . except I cannot find any that specifically prohibit it, . . . just rules about if you spill it.

I have a discount card that gets me about $0.50 off per gallon of gas, from all the stuff that the Admiral buys. So, I can get $3.00/gallon gas, whereas it is about $4.90/gallon on the water. :faint2:

At some point I'll need or want to buy gasoline at a regular marina, but it is hard to resist putting $3.00/gallon gas in it once in a while. :noidea:

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I agree with Bond-o on this, too. My understanding has always been 'no sheen on the water allowed'. As long as you don't spill any you should be fine.

airshot

Rear Admiral

While we all like to save money on fuel, keep something in mind....marina's are required to pay a marine fuel tax on every gallon they pump which is to be used toward maintaining and building areas for boating. In the area where I am at, an awfull lot of marine dredging
is taking place in the channels to allow us acess to lake Erie, much of this dredging cost is from the fuel tax on marine fuel. Depending on the area you live it can be .40 per gallon and more, so it is not all going into the marina's pocket, much of the additional tax is being put back into recreational boating areas for boaters benefits. I try to save a little myself as well but do bite the bullet frequently and fill up at the fuel dock for all of our benefits.

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man o man your arms must have felt great after that lol.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

our taxes are the opposite; no marina fuel tax but highway taxes. We can turn our receipts in to the state and get a refund on the taxes.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

There is a road tax on every gallon sold in NC. Gas at the marina is $4,509 for 90 octane ethanol free. Boats don't use the roads so that tax is refunded if a form is sent. Every January the marina sends an accounting of all the fuel I purchased. I send it and a signed form to the CPA that does my taxes. The refund came-- my wife spent it,,,,,,, amount unknown.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I ordered a devive called a Jiggler that easily starts a siphon to drain a 5 gallon gas can into your gas tank. I cannot believe how well it worked. Much, much easier than using a funnel, and it would be very hard to spill any gas, too. You can Google Jiggler to see what it is. You can find similar devices in many stores. I think Walmart even has a knockoff you can buy. Makes refilling a snap.

tpenfield

Staff member

Yea, I'm thinking that I would need a pump rather than a siphon since I was refueling at the mooring, using my dinghy to shlep the fuel. So, it is uphill to the fuel fill location on the side of the boat.

Not sure how often I would attempt to bring fuel out to the boat though . . . probably will fuel up at the closest marina for the holiday weekend. I'm trying to get a good estimate on fuel consumption with this 'new-to-me' boat by keeping an hours and distance log.

So far, it looks like about 11-12 gph and 1.4 mpg . . . all-round average..

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I created a spout for my fuel tanks that allowed me to attach a 3 foot clear hose 1" hose. Now when I fuel the boat in the boat in the driveway I stick the hose in the tank and tip the gas can. Every drop goes in the boat. No more aiming for the funnel or watching it start to fill and overflow.

tpenfield

Staff member

We've got one of these at the lake place. Not the fastest thing in the world but you don't spill anything. It is gravity feed so you need to set it up on the engine cover when filling the boat.

Flo n' Go Duramax Fuel Caddy — 14-Gallon Capacity, Model# 06792 | Fuel Caddies| Northern Tool + Equipment

Ooohhh, I like that . . last time I looked at those things, they were $300 ish. At $120, it may be worth it. Payback would be about 70 gallons considering the difference in Marina fuel prices.

Thalasso

Commander

I use a aluminum tractor trailer tank (70 gal) with a 12 volt pump in the bed of the pickup. Pull the boat to the ramp and hook up the alligator clamps to the battery and squeeze the trigger.

slag

Chief Petty Officer

While we all like to save money on fuel, keep something in mind....marina's are required to pay a marine fuel tax on every gallon they pump which is to be used toward maintaining and building areas for boating. In the area where I am at, an awfull lot of marine dredging
is taking place in the channels to allow us acess to lake Erie, much of this dredging cost is from the fuel tax on marine fuel. Depending on the area you live it can be .40 per gallon and more, so it is not all going into the marina's pocket, much of the additional tax is being put back into recreational boating areas for boaters benefits. I try to save a little myself as well but do bite the bullet frequently and fill up at the fuel dock for all of our benefits.

Not necessarily true. My father owns a marina and does not pay such a tax.

Bondo

Staff member

Not necessarily true. My father owns a marina and does not pay such a tax.

Ayuh,... It's a State thing, not Federal,....

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I keep my boat in water at the house and fill with 5 gallon jerry cans. I can't stand the new unvented cans that are so slow, so I unscrew the spout and pour into a big funnel. Can't do it in a breeze. legal unless you spill.

80 gallon tank so I try to keep it full and put in 15-20 gallons at a time--one trip to the station and one roll down to the pier.

I just bought a 15 gallon caddy at a yard sale for $7.00 (yes seven dollars) so worth giving it a try. I couldn't justify full cost esp. if it didn't work for me.
Mixed reviews for my use. Easy to fill at the station; hard to get out the back of the car (Tahoe) by myself without slamming it down. Fills the boat nicely but I have to work the tides so my fill opening on the gunwale is lower than my pier, and also I moor with the fill on the wrong side so I have to move the boat around--not a big deal but we're talking about convenience here. It's a little slow and I learned the hard way I have to stand by during the fill (mine doesn't have the fancy spout) but I am going to modify that.