1981 Evinrude 70 bogs down under load

lavaboy

Recruit
I have an Evinrude 70 which has not been working well for me this season.

First time I took it out on the water this season, it would lose power at full throttle, if I engaged the electric choke it would pick up power. SO I had three carb kits ( without floats) and decided it would be a good time to clean the carbs and change the float needle valves and gaskets and other little parts. Also replaced the Fuel hose and bulb and tank.

After the carb kits it ran really well, took it full throttle, cruised at 3/4 throttle for about a 15 minute ride and thought it was good to go. Took it out again later and it was hesitating under load and surging down, neighbour had a fuel pump for it, tried that, but same thing, put in some different plugs didnt help.

It starts fine and at idle I can rev it high with no problems. When I take it out, it runs up to full throttle and then after 20 seconds or so it drops down and then surges up and down, it will come down to a very slow speed and I can limp back to shore. Pressing in the Electric choke now does not help, actually makes it worse.

What seems to happen is it starts and runs OK and then within a minute or so, it begins to run really badly under load and becomes progressively worse.

I changed the coils a few years ago, but am beginning to think it is an electrical issue?

Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance