15 HP Throttle issue

Chiste

Cadet
I have a 1982 15 HP motor that was sitting for a few years with no fuel in the lines (previous owner ran fuel dry to store it) I got new fuel it started right up and seemed to run OK. I got to the lake and put the boat in the water and it started right up and idles fine when i put it into gear it runs then i try to throttle up and it barely moves and faster..I am going to clean out the Carburetor and change out the water pump when the parts come in. But does anyone have any other suggestions I might be missing. also i want to change out the gear oil in the lower unit what kind should I use.. THANKS!!!

Xcusme

Commander
Re: 15 HP Throttle issue

Welcome to iboats Chiste,

Changing the carb (rebuild kit) isn't a bad idea. The type of lower unit gear oil is available at Walmart and is 90 wt. , for marine uses. The water pump is always a good choise too. There are a lot to links on how to replace the needed parts and don't forget to lube the drive shaft ( it prevents the drive shaft from getting fused with rust , and binding with the crankshaft.

Chiste

Cadet

thanks for the reply, I did happen to find that the cam roller was broken the link that is attached to the pin is still there but just hanging under it not attached to the cam roller that look like it would open the throttle if it was still attached to the roller. I am no mechanic but what would you think this is my problem? thanks for the info on the gear oil..

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Pic would be good. That could definitely be a problem, if I'm understanding right. If your '82 is like my '78, you'll have to remove the starter recoil to replace that. Be sure and hold that thing tight when removing or you'll get a nasty surprise. Also, try and figure what made the cam roller break. Something else may be binding it up. Good luck!

Chiste

Cadet

Cam roller.jpg

Here is the picture of the cam follower I found

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Pic is small - I can't tell for sure if the roller is "Broken". It may be that the previous owner merely left the linkage off the cam roller when reinstalling the carb. You can put the linkage back on the roller by removing the roller, but again, I think you'd have to memove the recoil to get the screw out of the roller.