Pontoon crack

johnrandall

Recruit
Are hairline cracks where the flooring mounts to the pontoon a serious problem? I have found a couple small ones which do prevent me from putting air in. My pontoon is 31ft and its a 1969. Thanks in advance!

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Pontoon crack

What is this pontoon made of steel, aluminum or fiberglass and why do you want to put air in them ?

The only reason to put air in your tubes is to leak check them, there is a wives tail that says it makes the tubes "float" better but that is all it is, a wives tale.

Also define "where the flooring mounts to the pontoon" is this the brackets welded to the tubes and they are cracked on the tube section, a little more detail will help us help you.

johnrandall

Recruit

Yes you are correct.....I was just checking for leaks and it is where the brackets mount for the flooring. We traded for this pontoon late last fall and I was just going over it checking things out. They are made of aluminum. Thanks!

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Alright, if the bracket is cracked where is meets the tube you will want to get that rewelded soon.

Aluminum like to crack, that is why they inspect airplanes so much, it will continue to crack until it runs out of metal to crack so you should get that into a welder and have them fixed if you plan on keeping and running the boat.

johnrandall

Recruit

Ok thanks! Spoke with a shop today and he said last one he welded was $400. Guess that's better than bigger problems. Probably going to take it out a few times before he can get it in but will have welded soon. Thanks again!