another trailer tire question...

mlpaskett

Seaman
I have a couple of trailer tire questions...

1. How many miles should I get on a set of trailer tires? They are always properly inflated and never even close to over loaded (tandem axle). They did not last 5000 miles over 3 years. They look to have worn very unevenly. I have noticed that there are no balance weights on any of the tires...I asked the tire dealer about balancing them and he said...we never balance trailer tires...which leads to the next question.

2. Why not balance trailer tires?

..and the next question

3. Was this guy just blowing smoke?

Thanks in advance for any and all input

--Mark

agallant80

Commander
Re: another trailer tire question...

I think mine have weights on them. Though I have 15 inch rims. As for tires lasting. I have noticed with car tires that when I put the $600 set on my BMW they lasted 6 months when I put the $1,600 tires on my BMW they lasted as they should. Have you been putting the cheapest tires on the trailer that you can?

Things I would check are
*Balance Tires
*Axle in alignment the way it should
*Springs are not worn out.

How old is the trailer?

oldjeep

Admiral

I have a couple of trailer tire questions...

1. How many miles should I get on a set of trailer tires? They are always properly inflated and never even close to over loaded (tandem axle). They did not last 5000 miles over 3 years. They look to have worn very unevenly. I have noticed that there are no balance weights on any of the tires...I asked the tire dealer about balancing them and he said...we never balance trailer tires...which leads to the next question.

2. Why not balance trailer tires?

..and the next question

3. Was this guy just blowing smoke?

Thanks in advance for any and all input

--Mark

1) It is typically not miles but years since trailer tires sit more than they get used. If you store your trailer inside and you don't live in a climate that disolves tires (FL) then they should last 4-5 years.

2) Never had a compelling reason to balance them and I've owmed a lot of trailers. It won't hurt anything but I havn't seen too many folks do it.

3) Wouldn't suprise me if they never balance them. You ever seen a purchased tire/rim combo with weights on them? Ever seen a trailer come from the factory with weights on the rims? I havn't.

haulnazz15

Captain

I think that trailer tires should be balanced, but that's just to reduce vibrations. It doesn't really help too much with tire wear. I have gotten about 7-8 years on trailer tires, but I bet there aren't 3,000 miles on them, lol.

Expidia

Commander

My trailer was only a few months old and I bent the axle hitting an underwater rock at a launch site. I did not know it was bent until I scrubbed a set of tires bald in 150 miles. I got what I paid for with my cheap $600 shorelande'r trailer. The axles are of cheap metal and bend easily. Dealer had to put a new one on.

Even after I replaced it I was only getting a season's use on a set of tires. once again i got what i paid for with cheap 5.30 x 12 tires that came already on the rim from a RV shop for like $46 for tire and rim. They wore out very fast too. Probably were not made for "boat" trailers anyway.

Problem today is all the local tire shops around me mostly carry crap china boat trailer tires now. My tire guy said he could get Carlisle for boat trailers but they were also made in China. From what I've read on various forums many people don't like the Carlisle brand. He said he could order the Carlisle USA which are made in USA. I paid $64 per tire for my small rigs tire size (they used my old rims).

Bottom line if you want tires to last buy decent ones in the first place. Put trailer on cinder blocks over the winter to keep tires off the ground.
Take trailer to a frame straightening shop and have them check the axle to rule out that it's bent. You can also use a tape measure and measure from the trailer tip to the frame behind each tire youself But I prefer to letting a shop pro check it out for you if it was my rig.

On the balancing Google that question and there are many schools of thought. Small tires probably don't need to be balanced but 14 and 15's are just like a car tire in my opinion and I'd balance them. One guy said they don't balance them becasue if a weight is thrown at 70 mph it can shoot through your boat. I think this would be a non issue as trailers have fenders anyway.

mlpaskett

Seaman

Thanks for the replies. The trailer was purchased new in 2010 with the boat. These were the original Carlisle bias ply tires that came with the trailer. They had 3 "seasons" of use. No visible cracking from sun exposure etc. Boat ALWAYS stored in garage. I guess I will add storing boat with tire off ground to the list of winter lay-up to-do's. This is not my first trailer and I have never seen tires on my boat trailers wear in such a way. It is my first tandem axle trailer and that may be all the difference. I have elected to go with a radial tire and the local tire dealer recommends a Carlisle radial. I am sure he recommends that tire because he happens to hive 5 in stock. I did mention that I am not sure I am confident in the Carlisle brand as that is what I am replacing...he said Carlisle is one of the "best" trailer tires made...What do you think?

--Mark

oldjeep

Admiral

Tandem trailers wear tires a lot faster if you are doing a lot of tight turns, so that may be what you are seeing.

I've got no issues with Carlisle tires - although I tend to use the Kenda Loadstars.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

and the local tire dealer recommends a Carlisle radial.

Bad history. Really bad! Is this the same guy who says don't worry about balancing? I'd find another tire shop ...

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't worry about the balancing... it comes down to personal preference. I don't balance them. And they wear fine for me. The wear you describe is very typical to tandem trailers. Tires are tires... trailer tires are all junk made in china. Make sure they are the right load range. Keep them aired up. And roll on!

Rd05lly

Cadet

I would check bearings if you have uneven wear. Might be to much end play.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Aside from scrubbing during turns, 5000 miles should barely wear the nubs off the tires. You might consider having your axles checked for alignment. If one side's tires are 1/2" closer together than the other side, all 4 tires will crab trying to find a straight line. And that will tear off the tread quickly.

This is a very exaggerated example of what I'm talking about, but just a little bit of misalignment will cause a lot of tire wear...

axlealign.jpg

bassman284

Commander

this comes up from time to time. Why wouldn't you balance a trailer tire? It rotates and anything that rotates does a better job of it when it's balanced. Matter of opinion, I guess. I think it's a bad idea to put a firecracker in your mouth and light it some people think it's perfectly OK.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I think its a matter of personal choice, I know that most trailer tires arnt balances with no ill effects. I have mine done just to reduce any vibrations on the boat, I know it will stand it but I dont want it to

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My opinion: ALL tires should be balanced. Reason? I'm sure many of us have experienced the out-of-balance condition where you drive for about a half mile all nice & smooth, then slowly you pick up a little vibration, which gets fairly noticible for about a half mile, then it slowly goes away and smooths out, and keeps repeating-- This is caused by TWO (or more) tires being slightly out of balance. Tires don't roll at exactly the same RPM's as each other, and eventually the offset weights will be opposite each other and cancel each other out, smooth ride- then slowly the offset weights line up with each other, and the off-balance effect doubles, vibration...

This happens often enough with tires that HAVE been balanced. You take 4 tires that are out of balance by 1.5 ounces and line all that weight up at the same time at 75 mph and you have close to a half pound of offset weight shaking the bajeezus out of your trailer and boat! My boat, or me for that matter, don't need that much stress!