Issues starting 2000 Evinrude Ficht 225 (E225FPXSSH)

Issues starting 2000 Evinrude Ficht 225 (E225FPXSSH). When I tun the key the motor starts and immediately dies. I have tried starting in neutral with very minimal throttle and it starts right up, but after a few seconds the RPMs spike very high so I back off and the motor dies. On a few occasions I have been able to adjust the throttle to a position which will allow the motor to idle at around 1000 RPM, but just a tap down the motor will die and a tap up the motor will spike... I have the EVdiagnostic software which shows no fault codes except for the 57 that i reset from the motor spiking. The monitoring page of the software looked as though everything was good, showing 12v battery and between 38-40v system. All the boxes on the monitoring page are green. Spark test and injector test checked out okay.

Based on reading these forums I started thinking that it sounds like the start assist circuit so I started tracing cables. Noticed that the solenoid had a broken terminal. The pink/white wire was not making a good connection because the terminal was broken. Thought it could be the cause, and needed replaced anyway so I purchased a new solenoid and installed. Attempted starting and nothing changed. I then pulled out the multimeter to get some readings. I'm showing 13v at the battery, 13v at the main solenoid connection. When turning the key over I'm receiving 13v at the starter solenoid connection, 13v at the "I" terminal with the pink/white wire connected, and the "S" terminal with the yellow/blue wire spiked to about 38v while the starter was engaging.

Spoke with the guys from DFI and they seemed to think it wasn't the EMM since the codes they normally see aren't there. They did say that they would check it if I wanted to send it in and if it was good it would only cost me shipping. Just wanted to see if anyone had additional ideas of something I'm overlooking.