Painting a floor

Jzervos

Cadet
There are countless posts regarding painting fiberglass, but I did not find anything that would answer my question. How much do I need to prep the old surface. The boat is an 87', and the finish has seen better days. The floor is white, and I want to change the color to an off white, or something with a subtle gray tinge. The sun reflects off the fiberglass, and when out on the water for a long day, you get sun from all angles. I had planned on wet sanding the floor, cleaning it with acetone, taping off the grooves and compartments, and then rolling on the paint with an additive for grip. As of now, the floor is slippery when wet, and that is not a good thing. This is a small area, and I was told I would not need more than a quart of paint. Do I need to prime first? I was led to believe as long as the surface was prepped and cleaned the new paint would adhere. Any suggestions are appreciated.

zoom50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Painting a floor

I would use one of the many truck bed liner chemicals...they are growing in popularity with boat owners and I have heard a lot of good things about that stuff. Many offer different color options and are marketing towards the marine industry. They can probably to it for you for about $300 or you can get the do it yourself stuff for much cheaper. Many posts about this if interested.

Jzervos

Cadet

I heard about that, but will it adhere, and does it come in colors that are light. When it is 90 degrees outside and the sun is hitting the floor, it gets hot. Any dark colors will be unbearable to walk on bare foot. Also, the paint and the additive plus a roller or two and tape, will not cost more than 50 bucks.

Twidget

Commander

I had a center console with the matte finish inside. It had begun to wear, so I decided to repaint. I got primer and deck paint from Lowes. I used the boat for 3 years after that and it looked as good as when I finished.

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just painted my boat with skid no more paint it turns out gray I did 2 coats and some places I need to do a little touch up. it said to clean and rough up surface with 80 grit sand paper. turned out great for my first time using it.<br />here is a pic after 2 coats<br />
IM000813.jpg

luisjg

Cadet

you can use DURABAK 18 comes in lots of colors and<br />its a great system.<br /><br />i got it from a guy on ebay..<br />fast shipping and best price ever found.<br /><br />go to ebay and type durabak on the search box.<br />you will find it.<br />good luck

BillP

Captain

I got free samples from Durabak and the stuff looks good.<br /><br />If you sand and clean the surface well, primer isn't needed and durabilty isn't different. Interlux's non-skid paint has really small particles and they are still somewhat slippery when wet. I've used the stuff several times. You may want to add larger sand granuals to it for better traction. <br /><br />I use regular marine paint and add playground sand. Go to HomeDepot and buy a bag of it for $3. Get the premium type because it has the big pieces screened out and is more consistant. Add approx 10% sand into the paint, stir and roll on. Roll two coats with sand and one topcoat without sand. Not as good as Durabak but easier and cheaper.