2008 Volvo Penta 8.1 GXI-J Intermittent alarm

Kirks World

Cadet
Serial # 4012246141. During operation, after operating the boat at elevated RPM's, when the throttle is returned to idle or neutral I get an intermittent audible warning (about every five seconds). It does not do it every time. When it does, the Temp(157), Oil Press(38), and Batt Voltages (13.8) show normal on both the digital and the analog gauges. Twice the boat has gone into safe mode (all gauges read normal) . Turned the key off and restarted the engine, no alarm and operated normally each time. 250 Hrs on the engine. Spark plugs, Exhaust manifolds and risers both replaced in April 2013( less than 20 hours on new manifolds). Suggestions?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2008 Volvo Penta 8.1 GXI Intermittent alarm

When was the last time the impeller was replaaced?

You have a couple of alarm switches in the exhaust elbows that may be triggering the alarm. When you slow down, the heat soak and the reduced water flow could be triggering the alarm.

Could also be those switches failing as well if the elbows don't get too hot.

Could also be a low oil pressure or engine high emp alarm switches causing the problem.

Kirks World

Cadet

I changed the sea water pump end of April, 2013. I considered the sensors in the exhaust elbows and haven't completely ruled them out. I have found out there are two oil sending units. One for the gauges and one for the ECM. If I unplug any of these sensors or sending units, will it trigger Safe Mode operation, or just silence the alarm if it is the culprit?
Kirk

Don S

Re: 2008 Volvo Penta 8.1 GXI-J Intermittent alarm

According to the wiring diagrams for that engine, it should only have one 3 wire oil pressure sensor that is the only oil pressure source for the gauge and alarm and all goes to the ECM.

Your best bet is to get it hooked up to a diagnostic computer and find out what is setting the alarm.

Kirks World

Cadet

I inquired about that, and was told by the mechanic that it most likely wouldn't show unless it was doing it at the time the diagnostic machine was hooked to it. Apparently it is a ghost in the machine. Usually the best way to fix those is to get lucky and find it, or trade in. Is there a link for the diagram you have for that engine?
Thanks for your help.
Kirk

Don S

Usually the best way to fix those is to get lucky and find it, or trade in.

Don't ask that mechanic anything again, he know nothing about them.
The ECM logs alarms for temp and oil pressure issues.

Bondo

Staff member
I am having this same problem. Did you find the solution?

Thank you.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Kirks World hasn't been back since that post, 'n Don S passed away a few weeks after that post,.....

Why don't ya post a thread of yer own, statin' what yer motor, 'n drive is, 'n what it's doin', or not doin' properly,....

Kirks World

Cadet
Slightly Stewpid, There are several sensors on the engine, any of these could be bad, or victim to corrosion and/or loose connection. In my case I found the oil sensor on the lower starboard side of the engine, pulled the connector and sprayed both it and the sensor terminals with electrical contact cleaner. It seemed to fix the issue.

Kirks World

Cadet
Slightly Stewpid, I lived with the issue from the time of my post in 2013 until around July of 2014. In July of 2014, I pulled the throttle back as we were approaching the marina, and I got the same beeping. I figured when I started the engine on our next outing it would be business as usual, but I did remember to take the contact cleaner with me. I started the engine several times, but it always either started in LIMP mode, or found its way there as I applied throttle. I didn't remember posting this until I received your email yesterday, or I would have already posted what seemed to have fixed my problem to the forum. Thank you for posting SS. Bondo, sorry to hear of Don S's passing.

Bondo

Staff member
Slightly Stewpid, I lived with the issue from the time of my post in 2013 until around July of 2014. In July of 2014, I pulled the throttle back as we were approaching the marina, and I got the same beeping. I figured when I started the engine on our next outing it would be business as usual, but I did remember to take the contact cleaner with me. I started the engine several times, but it always either started in LIMP mode, or found its way there as I applied throttle. I didn't remember posting this until I received your email yesterday, or I would have already posted what seemed to have fixed my problem to the forum. Thank you for posting SS. Bondo, sorry to hear of Don S's passing.

Ayuh,.... Don is extremely missed by Many, myself included,....

Thank you for stoppin' by, 'n tellin' Us yer story, 'n conclusion,.....