93 Evinrude 150 Spitfire bogs down with constant alarm

I have a 93 Evinrude that bogs down when a constant alarm goes off, I know it does it to protect the motor. The motor is not overheating and I replaced the thermostats about 6 months ago; it has a good pee stream and is not hot. It wasn't doing this before I replaced the VRO 2 days ago. The motor use to be hesitant when throttled up and the oil alarm would go off, the new VRO has fixed that problem; now it gets up on a plane with no problem, but after about 1 minute the alarm goes off and it revs down and the motor starts shaking like crazy!!! My understanding is that the constant alarm is for overheating and for fuel restriction? I unplugged the Vacuum switch and the alarm was still sounding!! If I shut the motor off and wait 30 seconds, I can run full throttle for a minute until the alarm goes off again!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! The motor is a 93 Spitfire E150ELETG

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 93 Evinrude 150 Spitfire bogs down with constant alarm

From your description it sounds like it's overheating and going into SLOW.

From your description it sounds like it's overheating and going into SLOW.

It is going into SLOW but it's not overheating. I think I'm going to take it out tomorrow and unplug the thermostats to see if one of them have gone bad. I ordered a Vacuum Switch and I should get it tomorrow. I'm also going to bring a portable tank with a separate fuel line so I will know it's something in the motor. From what I've been reading it only does a constant beep from over heating or from a fuel restriction. Hopefully I figure it out before the 4th!!!!
:facepalm:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

A fuel restriction will not put it into SLOW.

Gulfsurfer

Seaman Apprentice

I also thought a fuel restriction alarm wouldn't trigger SLOW mode (at work now, can't check my service manual).

I started a thread yesterday, I have a very similar problem on a 94 Ocean Runner. Did you ever resolve your problem?