97 stingray 190lx want to add a external fuel tank and have ?s

loie587

Cadet
I have a 97 stingray and only burn half the 40 gallon tank due to poor placement of pick up tube in tank so my idea is to add a fuel tank. It will be a 20 gal external tank Ive had for a while. Im going to have a hose spout welded at the bottom of external tank. I want to hook that into the fill on the original tank and hook the fill tube from boat to the external tank fill. Im going to cap off vent from original tank and use the vent on the external tank. I need feedback on this I want to make sure this sounds correct dealing with fuel and I know it can be dangerous. Also have another concern this is a 4.3 I/O and the pump sits right above the original tank bolts to side of block. When I fill the external being as its going to be bolted to floor and a lot higher than original tank do I need to worry about the pressure and the fuel being higher than the pump it going pass the pump doing damage to engine. Im sure Im not the only one came up with this idea and I need any suggestions or help everyone can give me. Thank You

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 97 stingray 190lx want to add a external fuel tank and have ?s

I have a 97 stingray and only burn half the 40 gallon tank due to poor placement of pick up tube in tank so my idea is to add a fuel tank. It will be a 20 gal external tank Ive had for a while. Im going to have a hose spout welded at the bottom of external tank. I want to hook that into the fill on the original tank and hook the fill tube from boat to the external tank fill. Im going to cap off vent from original tank and use the vent on the external tank. I need feedback on this I want to make sure this sounds correct dealing with fuel and I know it can be dangerous. Also have another concern this is a 4.3 I/O and the pump sits right above the original tank bolts to side of block. When I fill the external being as its going to be bolted to floor and a lot higher than original tank do I need to worry about the pressure and the fuel being higher than the pump it going pass the pump doing damage to engine. Im sure Im not the only one came up with this idea and I need any suggestions or help everyone can give me. Thank You

Ayuh,.... Stop,... right there,....

If ya need a 2nd tank, plumb it independently, Not the way yer headed,...

You'll need a tank selector valve to do it Right,...

Btw,... It would make a 'ell of alot more sense to Fix the tank in there Now,....

Dshow

Petty Officer 1st Class

+1 on fixing the tank you've got...

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would vote to fix whats there, even if you need to remove a small section of the deck it would be much safer and just better in the long run. Might even be even money plus you dont have an additional tank to fiddle around with. Where would you mount it? if off to one side i could see that becoming an issue.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Fuel pickups are at the top of the tank and include an anti-siphon valve for a reason. you don't want a bilge full of fuel if that bung you have welded to the bottom of the tank or the fuel line fails. You have a very bad plan all around. If the dip tube only allows sucking up half the fuel, pull it and replace it. Your plan puts you, the boat and anyone on it in serious danger.

shrew

Lieutenant

I would pull the pickup tube and compare to a replacement part. This sounds alot like a Generator pickup tube. They make the onboard generator pickups shorter than the engine pickups. This ensures that if you're running an onboard generator, you don't run out of fuel. Then generator will run out of fuel, however the engine pickup will be longer and still be able to access the 'reserve' fuel in the tank to allow you to get to a gas station.

They simply don't design boats to only use the top half of the tank. There is something wrong here that needs to be addressed. This idea is not the proper solution.