1977 or 78 sears gamefisher 9.9 Any good?

whatsagm

Seaman
There is one for sale locally and would like the know the pros and cons of this outboard. Currently I have a 1957 Johnson 10 hp this I hate. I have had really bad luck with Johnson and evinrudes in the past and wondering if this would be a decent replacement. Thank you.

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1977 or 78 sears gamefisher 9.9 Any good?

I would rather own a Johnson or evinrude that does not run than a gamefisher that does:laugh:

whatsagm

Seaman

Well that has been my experince with Johnson and rudes. Everyone I have ever owned has been a big pos. I went to an I/O be cause of the issues I had with outboards. Now I bought a smaller boat to fish the smaller inland lakes came with this 10hp johnson and as usual it needs work. I may just pass on this and put it toward a 9.9 Merc

whatsagm

Seaman

What makes these motors so bad?

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Force made them from late 80's to mid 90's. Personally I don't like force outboards. I am sure they had there problems like every other company. I have never heard anything good about force outboards at least the older ones.

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your motor was made by Eska. Parts maybe harder to get

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

In '78, Tecumseh made the power heads, Eska made the lower units for Sears Gamefishers. People walk by them because they were not big brand names, they had a solid state ignition that was prone to failure, and had starter gears that were plastic. CDI Electronics makes a replacement stator if you don't want to de-pot the original to replace the usual failed capcitor, or SCR. If you're willing to and able to do the work to make it healthy, it will treat you wonderfully, and weigh less than anything else, but marine mechanics tend not to want to work on them, so it's gonna be a DIY thing. Most parts are still gettable and those that aren't just take a little longer.

whatsagm

Seaman

Thank you for the responses. I have a chance to get one at a good price.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mine runs like a champ its a 7.5hp 1977 and parts are available. I completely re did mine thank god the solid state was still good and I paid 75.00 at a garage sale. lol

truckintyler

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think the only water I'd trust a tecumseh outboard is a test tank cause I hate paddling.
I've got whole engine for parts if interested.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I own 2 gamefisher 9.9 by force, after a month of tinkering and 150.00 I got one to run for now. I have a 74 evin that we use in small rivers and it runs great. I also have a clinton that runs great as well. I have no problems with evins or johnsons, all the ones Ive owned ran great with little to no problems. A couple years ago I sold my tecumseh ( gamefisher ) to a buddy with only investing in a carb kit, he says it still runs great. As it did for me. I guess everyone gets a lemon now and again that includes me. just saying....