1986 starcraft islander 22 ft restoration project underway

Hello to everyone . I am starting a restoration on my 1986 islander 4.3 omc cobra . A little history on the boat my girlfriends dad bought it and had visions of a walleye boat ( he has a 26 islander as his salmon boat). He never got to it so it sat for 8 years . We acquired it from him and are now starting the fun part. The boat did not run right would start and idle but not go over 2000 rpm. Installed a delco voyager est problem fixed . Already replaced bellows and lower shift cable . Runs and shifts great . Now it's time to start the other stuff . I have a great group of people to help with this and should be fun .
Myself dan - I am a sheetmetal worker so anything metal is covered.
My girlfriend Jess - farm girl that can do just about anything .
My brother ray - carpenter and cabinet maker that can make anything from wood.
The boy wonder - interior lighting who does some neat stuff with led.
Frankie- lives breathes and eats internal combustion engines.
Robbie - electrician
The community here . I have already got some very good info and help.

So with all this help should go good . We are aware of some transom rot and soft spots in the floor so that is already on the list of repair . We already gutted the rats nest of electrical and rewired it with new switches. Going to redo the whole dash this winter.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Boy wonders work on that!!!

We noticed some water under the cuddy seeping from rivets and decided to investigate ( cuddy floor needs replacing anyway
image.jpg

The foam was saturated down low so in the process of removing it.

Now the questions start . Any ideas on a good way to seal rivets from the inside was thinking of 5200 and sealing them all .
How much foam should I put back in and pour in, noddles any input would be appreciated .

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1986 starcraft islander 22 ft restoration project underway

Welcome to the Dry dock! I can't answer many questions on aluminum boats, but I'd sure like to tag along. I do believe most on Iboats use a product called Gluvit to seal the rivets. I would put back the same amount of foam, or more, then you took out. Pour in or noodles it's personal preference.

Take lots of pictures.

Good luck on your resto!!!!!!
SBB

So I get home from work to find the boat hooked up to the truck pointing uphill . My wonderful girlfriend Jess had the day off and decided to finish foam removal and bleached the cabin after she was done. Now let it dry and start sealing the rivits . Going to use 5200 on the inside. I am planing a two part epoxy on the bottom of the hull which should help seal the rivits also. image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg
The foam free cuddy.

Now the question is was the foam I removed just floatation or did it have any structural significance ?

Sorry about the pictures all being 90 degree rotated will figure out how to make them normal posting them from my iphone

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Welcome to the Iboats Dry Dock, Xtremesledder...
That is a really nice looking Starcraft... you should have a bunch of "Starmada" folks popping in real soon to ogle that beauty...

Like "sevanseriesta" mentioned, most of the tin guys use a product called Gluvit to seal there rivets...I think the reason being is that it is somewhat watery and will run into all the nooks and crannies...5200 is kind of thick and would really only sit on the surface...

You may also have to look into replacing or re-bucking any rivets that are loose or missing...

As to the foam question...according to the Coast Guard regs, Floatation foam is only required to be put in by boat manufacturers and only in boats up to 20 feet in length...if I am reading it right...:rolleyes:

It may have been installed in your boat for added safety as a floatation medium, it could have been added as a supposrt medium, if it was the heavier density stuff, or it could have been added as a noise damper...

Sounds like you have the ultimate crew to tackle anything that comes along...

Best of luck and have fun!
GT1M

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Sorry about the pictures all being 90 degree rotated will figure out how to make them normal posting them from my iphone

Load them into Paint and rotate them, then post them...

jbcurt00

Staff member

Coat-it is another Gluvit type product, at a lower cost.

As GT said, 5200 will tend to sit on the surface, rather then flow into all the nooks & grannies (?sp?) of the rivets & seams.

Are you referring to using a 2-part epoxy on the bottom of the hull, a 'typical' 2-part epoxy?

Or a 2-part epoxy paint? <<-- not really a good solution to prevent or stop leaks. It's still 'just' paint, 2-part epoxy may be 'better' then say Rustoleum enamel, but it's really not a leak solution.

If you re-buck or replace any leaking rivets, and apply Gluvit/Coat-it to the interior surface of the rivets & seams, you should have no need to apply anything but a paint finish of your choice to the hull. You could even go bare, high polished aluminum. A whole heck of a lot of hull for that, but you could.

Lots of good tin boat resto info in these:
Starcraft Rebuilds and Restorations, they're all here!

You'll notice lots of the Starmada is from up Michigan way..

Welcome to the iboats tin division dry dock...

BTW: It may be time to officially announce there's going to be an Admiral* in your life soon, she's a keeper. A bit of cuddy cleaning & hooked up to the truck is plenty enough. Foam removal, that's something else entirely. It's a task that's tough to get a buddy to help w/ even when the adult frosty libations are free.

*1 of the many: Fun Governor, Warden, SWMBO (she who must be obeyed), AKA: the wife. :watermelon:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's a fine looking Islander. From the outside, anyway. You have crew and a half to help work on her. :joyous:

I'm going with the others on Gluvit to seal seams and rivets. 5200 is great sealant, but not where it needs to flow. It's runny, but still thick.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Welcome to the Starmada drydock! Sweet Islander!

Man, they must've used some good paint in '86 (Glen's '86 SS was also in really good shape). Touch-up if you buck and/or replace leaky rivets and a good polish.

^^^ +1 of what GT, jb and GaB already said!

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Tagging along,.......

I'm a fan of floatation foam in boats,......

Sinking sucks,.................................

jbcurt00

Staff member

I'm a fan of floatation foam in boats,......Sinking sucks,.
Yep, as much as & wherever possible.

For the same reason.......

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

Glad you started the resto thread! Will be following along! Marry that girl, if she'll have you!

image.jpg

Got the pic upload problem figured out . Gluvit it is already ordered and on the way . Rebucked a few rivits not very many loose .

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Another Michigan Islander?

Saaaawwwweeeeeetttt!!!:becky:

Well now that the 4th of July weekend is over got back to work on the islander first coat of gluvit is applied . Will apply second coat today and post pics of progress.

Was looking under boat and noticed the previous owner had plugged the weep holes in the keel. I poked thru the plug and water dripped out should I leave these open or replug ? The front hole had a small screw head type of plug but the rear was silicone .

dozerII

Admiral

The holes in the keel strip are there to let it drain so it won't freeze and crack in sub zero temps, for some reason people seem to think they need sealing. Great looking Islander Dan.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Echoing DozerII, people like to plug those holes. I guess they think water in the boat is coming in through them. The keel strip isn't sealed, just riveted in place, so it would take a lot of unneeded work to keep water out. Just clear the drain holes and you will OK.

She is going to be a great Islander! :D

15shorty

Recruit

Echoing DozerII, people like to plug those holes. I guess they think water in the boat is coming in through them. The keel strip isn't sealed, just riveted in place, so it would take a lot of unneeded work to keep water out. Just clear the drain holes and you will OK.

She is going to be a great Islander! :D

i just did a resteration on a 221 and started a 191 after i got the 221 done i gave the 191 to my nephew. one thing you havenot mention is the gas tanks mine were bouth alunimun and i had a preasure check on them they bouth leaked very bad it is a wonder we did not blow up. both boats are 1986 the 191 we bough new and trailered the holes were done by electrolis i know the 191 was keep like it was new and it had the most holes . love the 221 that extra 2 feet is great .please have the alunimum gas tanks checked when thay get that old thay leak both of mine did and i still con not figher why we did not blow up.

Last edited: