4.3L v6 popping thru carburetor .

Firenut1

Cadet
Hello I'm new to I boats. I have a 1992 Galaxy W/A with a 4.3lx v6 with a 4 brl carb. last fall had a problem with it just shutting down. After replacing fuel filter, coil, & standing on my head for hours I found the terminal board at the neutral safety switch bolts had backed out after I tightened the bolts back the thing started and ran fine until. I cleaned the Hull under the motor and the rest of the boat it set for Two weeks it just would not start. I Replaced the coil and plugs it started and ran fine on the trailer put it in the water started to head out I could feel it miss turned around to head back to the doc started to lose power then started popping through the carburetor I could run it around 2200 RPM's with no problem I'm at your mercy please help family would like to go out on the 4th of July I think it may be the sensor in the distributor.

ajax5240

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 4.3L v6 popping thru carburetor .

Sounds like an ignition issue to me. Generally the way to get ignition out the intake is to have a plug firing with a valve open. Two things can make that happen, ignition way out of sync or control issue, or a timing belt jumped a few teeth.

Make sure all your if wires are on the correct location, and that all your ignition work was done correctly. Good time to I spect other wear items like cap, rotor, and points if ya have em.

Bondo

Staff member

Hello I'm new to I boats. I have a 1992 Galaxy W/A with a 4.3lx v6 with a 4 brl carb. last fall had a problem with it just shutting down. After replacing fuel filter, coil, & standing on my head for hours I found the terminal board at the neutral safety switch bolts had backed out after I tightened the bolts back the thing started and ran fine until. I cleaned the Hull under the motor and the rest of the boat it set for Two weeks it just would not start. I Replaced the coil and plugs it started and ran fine on the trailer put it in the water started to head out I could feel it miss turned around to head back to the doc started to lose power then started popping through the carburetor I could run it around 2200 RPM's with no problem I'm at your mercy please help family would like to go out on the 4th of July I think it may be the sensor in the distributor.

Ayuh,... Check the contents of the fuel filter,....

Sounds like water in yer fuel,...

Firenut1

Cadet

OK I pulled the filter and drained it into a glass container no water in the fuel. Took it out today made it about 1/4 mile and it started misfiring and popping thru the carb. I really need it fixed. Its my dads boat, he's had some health issues over. The last three Years I think it electrical maybe bad cap and rotor or module. Wife hates not being able to use it. Help please.

Bondo

Staff member

OK I pulled the filter and drained it into a glass container no water in the fuel. Took it out today made it about 1/4 mile and it started misfiring and popping thru the carb. I really need it fixed. Its my dads boat, he's had some health issues over. The last three Years I think it electrical maybe bad cap and rotor or module. Wife hates not being able to use it. Help please.

Ayuh,... Have ya done Any testin',..??
There are Many diagnostic procedures up in the Adults Only section at the top of the forum,...

It could also be the Carb or fuel pump,...

Has it been Serviced, 'n checked, as in a Compression test, 'n Timing,..??
What'd the Old spark plugs look like,..??

Ya gotta help Us, Help you,......