AQ125 Spark Plug wires

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am looking to see if anyone has found a direct replacement other than the Sierra plug wires for the AQ125a that may be available over the counter at the local Napa or Parts plus?

ajax5240

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: AQ125 Spark Plug wires

You can always get a crimper tool and make your own. Normally pretty cheap, but make sure to get the ends that clip to the plug with the resistor removed.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Has anyone used the "Make your own" spark plug wires? I am debating it but not sure. Any cons that might be involved? I have also read that some of the older BMW's used the solid core wires the AQ125a uses, does anyone know what year? Model? and if I am lucky Part Number?

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used the Bosch part number 09232 full spark plug wire set for $12.66 from rockauto. It is an exact match to the OEM with the metal heat shields and everything. They also sell the wr6dc bosch spark plugs too (unscrew the resistor tip to make the w6dc plug the motor calls for) just a 1.45 each.

To look up auto parts for the marine AQ125A, look up a 1982 Volvo 242 with the 2.1L motor. Most stuff is the same but some are different so double check or cross reference the numbers.

The short list of marine specific items is: water pump, fuel pump, distributor cap, alternator, starter. And then of course all the cooling system.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mullin, Thanks, that is just what I needed. By chance do you know if the points and condenser is also the same as the 82 with the 2.1?

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't remember. I know the cap is different, but there is an auto dist rotor that matched up just fine. I think I actually bought the sierra points and condenser kit here at the penta store before switching over to the hot-spark electronic ignition. I totally recommend going with the hot-spark kit btw.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I plan to, I was just trying to get the engine started and running for the rest of the summer for little investment. The boat is a $300 pick up, and I wanted to just splash it once or twice and get a performance baseline before it goes up to the dry dock and gets gutted and re-built this fall. The PO took it to a marine mechanic who did an oil change, replaced a gasket on the out-drive drive and then winterized it. In the spring it failed to start and the mechanic couldn't figure it out and wanted $900 to switch it to electronic ignition, I was going to help my neighbor fix it, but he got a new boat and offered this one to me for $300. Interesting thing is, upon investigation, the mechanic put in new plugs, cap, rotor, but kept the old condenser and plug wires.

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh, I see. Yeah if you have the timing light and dwell meter already then just throw some points in there for sure. Nice score for $300!! I was happy to get mine for $1200 a few years ago. Sounds like a good plan, no sense rebuilding and restoring a boat with a bum motor. Get that thing running and do a compression test etc. before getting too far into it.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, for reference the condenser I purchased from O'Reilly Auto Parts, Manufacturer: "Import Direct" PN 37-0163 works, with a little modification. The through the distributor terminal is square, so I filed the edges a bit and it fit like a glove and I have spark. Now for my next question since I am just chasing and fixing the problems, so should I start a new post or continue? So I will ask and if I need to start a new thread, I will.
I am now getting spark and it wants to kick over, but it appears I am not getting fuel to the carb. I can put a bit of fuel in the top of the carb and it will start but for a second or two then die. I disconnected the fuel line to the pump and it does not appear to pump the fuel from the temporary gas can. I tested and I am not getting any vacuum to suck up the fuel. Is there a way to test at the carb? or do I disconnect the hardline at the carb and see if I am the fuel to flow through?

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will re-post under new topic, thanks for all your help.

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not sure how familiar you are with these engines but there cold blooded and dont have a choke. Usually two full pumps of the throttle and setting the throttle to 10 -11 oclock and give it a go it should start when things are working right. Having said that those carbs are notorious for drying out the float chambers. What i do is take the top of the carb off and prefill the float chamber and give it a couple pumps to make sure it comes out of the accelerator booster (looks like an upside down J). Hope this helps Jd

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

do I disconnect the hardline at the carb and see if I am the fuel to flow through?

Yes. Disconnect the hard line at the carb and point it at a collection can of some sort, crank the motor for a bit and see if the fuel pump is pumping or not.
-edit- make sure the tank is vented and even prime the lines if possible. If you are cranking/pumping from a long hose, like to the main tank, it can take a while to pump the gas all the way up.

If the pump does pump then look at the carb. Could be a stuck float or clogged jet or orifice. You just need a couple cans of carb cleaner and a rebuild kit for new gaskets.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was able to disconnect the hard line at the carb, and fuel was able to flow. I reconnected and was able to get the engine to run for about 5 minutes. It died and I think I have a clog in the jet. I noticed there is no fuel filter on the system. Is there supposed to be? I have a fuel filter/ water separator on my 'toon with an outboard so is this something that is missing, or is this system designed not to have one?

ajax5240

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was able to disconnect the hard line at the carb, and fuel was able to flow. I reconnected and was able to get the engine to run for about 5 minutes. It died and I think I have a clog in the jet. I noticed there is no fuel filter on the system. Is there supposed to be? I have a fuel filter/ water separator on my 'toon with an outboard so is this something that is missing, or is this system designed not to have one?

There wasn't a factory one on mine. The addition of an aftermarket one is a very good idea.

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

Factory on these didn't have a filter like mentioned before. I would suggest taking the top of the carb off and cleaning the valve right below the float, those tend to get gummed up and either always let fuel in or not at all. Jd