1995 Johnson Oceanrunner J200TXEO Needle Bearing Failure

Doc z

Cadet
I recently purchased a boat with 2 Johnson 200 Hp motors. They both ran fine on land with water running through them. The boat was used in salt water. When put in the water the Starboard motor was difficult to start but when it started it ran smooth. After 10 min under a load it started knocking. All the cylinders had 100 lbs compression. Took the head off and it looks like a needle bearing got in the chamber and beat the piston up. I've attached some pics.

I was wondering what would cause this ?? The other cylinders look oiled well and the motor did not overheat. I'm guessing the needle bearing came from the wrist pin.

I was also wondering if this motor is worth rebuilding or should I be looking for a new one (used) ?

Attachments

• 06-29-13    Johnson Piston-Head (1)-----.jpg
    06-29-13 Johnson Piston-Head (1)-----.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 06-29-13    Johnson Piston-Head (2)-----.jpg
    06-29-13 Johnson Piston-Head (2)-----.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 0

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: 1995 Johnson Oceanrunner J200TXEO Needle Bearing Failure

Man what a shame that is. I guess now you know why the guy wanted to unload the boat. I guess your lucky only one cylinder got a needle bearing in it. Did you pull the other head too and check it?

You could end up with another problem child or get a great motor, it's a toss up if you went looking for another used. You could give that motor the full meal deal rebuild and have a good motor for way less than another "maybe it's good" used motor. At least then you would know what you have inside.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Piston dropped ring locating pin and ring rotated and broke in exhaust port..common problem for closed deck blocks.

daselbee

Commander

^^^^^What he said. That is not a "needle bearing". Rotate the piston down, and examine the bore. You will find a single vertical score that goes down to the exhaust port.

Doc z

Cadet

I thought maybe it could be the pin that retains the ring but the bore is perfect without any scores. The other cylinders are all perfect too. I'll find out when I get the rest of it apart.

I don't really think the guy could have known this would happen when he sold me the boat. We did run the motor for about a half hour with the water ears before I bought it and it ran good. It also had good compression.

daselbee

Commander

Very surprised the bore has no scores.