Should I buy this prop

klawton55

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 23' sea ray weekender with a 7.4 and alpha 1. I am looking at a ss quick silver laser 48 16548 a41 23P. The guy is only asking $55. I am wondering if this will fit my boat and would it help my performance. My boat weighs about 5200 (boat and trailer weighed 6400) my max rpm is 5000 and on the GPS with just me I can go 45 mph. I currently have a quick silver ss laser 21 pitch. I thought that it was a 14 1/2 inches and not 13 1/2 like the one I am looking at. What do you think?

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Should I buy this prop

What WOT RPM are you now reaching with your present prop? How many blades is your present prop? If your WOT RPM is near the recommended range with the prop you are now running you might not need to hunt for another prop. You've got a pretty big boat there, If you are not presently running a 4 blade prop, I would recommend it..

klawton55

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I currently have a 3 blade and wot rpm is 5000 not sure what the spec is but think 4600-4800 is about right.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

if your engine recommended WOT is 4600-4800 (which is about what mine is) and your at 5000, your might be running a bit to high... if your into water sports consider a 4 blade, you will find your hole shot (jumping up on plane) will increase greatly with a 4 blade, your top end speed will come down a few mph.. For the weight of your boat, I would recommend a 14.75 in, 15P 4 blade... I bet your WOT will run at 4800 and your speed will be 42... again, if you are into water sports a 4 blade is a big advantage, 4 blades are recommended for heavier boats also. your a lot heavier than me,, ive got a 20ft cuddy that's 2500 lbs,,,only a 3.0 in it, I switched from a 3 blade solas 14.3 21P which gave me a lousy hole shot, but higher top end speed, also my WOT was down to 4200,, the 4 blade Solas is a 14.75 in, 15P, my hole shot is about 5 seconds and top end speed down about 2 mph,, Im happy with the 4 blade.... good luck,,,

jestor68

Commander

The Mercury prop selector recommends a Mirage Plus or Revolution 4 for your boat.

The Quicksilver versions would be the Thunderbolt and the Typhoon.

A Lazer is not on the list of recommended props for that boat. In fact, your Lazer is showing a 26% slip with a 1.62 gear ratio. :facepalm:

Any idea what your gear ratio is?

jestor68

Commander

I believe the recommended WOT rpm range you're looking for(7.4L) is 4200-4600 rpm.

The better prop for your boat would be the Mirage Plus ( or QS Thunderbolt) 15.25 X 19.

The lazer is intended for lighter, fast boats(bass boats and other hi perf hulls). That's why it turns 5000 rpm. There's not enough prop(blade area) there to move that weight.

Solas also makes a Rubex L3 (Lexor) SS 15.25 X 19 that is designed specifically to move larger, heavier boats like yours. If that isn't enough, Solas also offers the same prop in a 16 X 19 size.

klawton55

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had been thinking of going to a 4 blade but didn't want to lose top speed. Does the 4 blade drop the top speed that much? My boat is not a cruiser. I am not sure if the gear ratio. After looking the prop up I see that it is for an outboard, it's too bad it was a great deal. image.jpg

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

Nice pic,, that's a pretty big boy...answer your ? yes, 4 blade will slow you down a bit but give you more trust, your trying to push a heavy boat with a prop not best suited for that task,, you want your cake and eat it too.........so do I.. I chose thrust increase and better fuel economy and lose 2 mph.... My advice is get a 4 blade, Solas is my pic...

klawton55

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info. 2 mph is not that much I can handle that. What pitch and diameter would you recommend when going to a four blade?

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

here's one suggestion,, go on the iboat site, under props, find your engine and drive,, if you have a bravo one, this one would be a consideration, if you want stainless steel, open your wallet more... you will appreciate the 4 blade hole shot, should push that big boy up on plane faster than you now have,,, would like to hear how you make out,,, enjoy the summer

Turning Point Hustler #2150 1730 Aluminum Boat Propeller
Mercruiser Bravo One 7.4L Sterndrive 335 - 385 HP