2001 larson bilge pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tr60mtp

Cadet
Recently purchased my first boat a 2001 Larson 254 Cabrio. I can only locate a bilge pump in the engine co,partment is there additionial bilge pumps I sould be checking?

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2001 larson bilge pump

Not likely. Despite recommendations on this website to have more than one pump, I think most boats carry only one. I have only one rated 1200 GPH, but I also carry a manual bicycle pump style manual pump as a backup in my 21 footer. The bilge below the engine is the logical place to have more than one pump if you have a second. Side by each together, as east coast Canucks might say. - Grandad

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I think most boats carry only one.

That depends entirely on the size of the boat, Grandad. Mine has 2, plus a shower sump pump that would go into action as a bilge pump if water rose that high.

Tr60, can't say for sure if you have a second pump, but check for a hatch under the cushions in the mid-berth (that's where my second one is), and look for a hatch in the cabin sole (floor). That's where my shower sump pump is located. Lastly, you can contact Larson and ask them.

My .02

dacarter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry for the late response, but I just found this thread while Googling for "Larson Shower pump" I'm having trouble with mine on my Cabrio 274.

Keep in mind, this is a Larson with a step hull, so they have an additional sump pump in the forward hull just before the step in the hull. Mine is under the step as you come into the cabin, with the shower pump.

I'm trying to find the switch for the shower pump if there is one. Mine doesn't turn on. Did find a breaker labeled shower pump under the dash.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

If there is no switch in the shower for it,it could be float activated. Seen a few that get crudded up,making the float get stuck down. Or it's just simply shot.

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class

Recently purchased my first boat a 2001 Larson 254 Cabrio. I can only locate a bilge pump in the engine co,partment is there additionial bilge pumps I sould be checking?

I've got a '94 Cabrio 280 and it has a 2nd pump in the mid-cabin. If you pull up the cushion in the mid-cabin there is a small access hatch to the pump. I've got a helm switch to activate the pump, but I'm not aware of any float switches for it.

dacarter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Somehow I missed it, but my shower pump switch is in the shower, and there is also a float switch. It works great.

Wild Oats

Cadet
My '98 Cabrio 254 has only one sump in engine compartment. I wouldn't count the shower sump as a sump for bilge water. In researching this before, I found they added the second small pump ahead of the hull step in 2000. There should be one there in the access hatch below the step down into the cabin as water does collect there. My question is for those that have a pump there, where does it drain? Does it have it's own thru hull or does it just pump under the gas tank into the main bilge and get pumped out by the main pump? I'm considering adding one but would have to snake wiring and hose down there to another through hull and I ain't crazy about adding holes to my boat. Has anyone added one?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
My '98 Cabrio 254 has only one sump in engine compartment. I wouldn't count the shower sump as a sump for bilge water. In researching this before, I found they added the second small pump ahead of the hull step in 2000. There should be one there in the access hatch below the step down into the cabin as water does collect there. My question is for those that have a pump there, where does it drain? Does it have it's own thru hull or does it just pump under the gas tank into the main bilge and get pumped out by the main pump? I'm considering adding one but would have to snake wiring and hose down there to another through hull and I ain't crazy about adding holes to my boat. Has anyone added one?

Please start a new thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.