Surge brakes, passenger tire locks backing up

Bullelk34

Recruit
Sorry if this is an old or easy question, but I need some help. I have an 03 Shorelander single axle with surge brakes. When backing into my garage the passenger tire locks up for sure, last night I think it was both tires locked up. We had to unhook and hand push it into the garage. I can pretty easily depress the actuator myself, so it's easy to see why they're locking up. Is this a bleeding issue? I've not had any issues with this until this year, and it went from tough to back up to impossible to back up in 2 trips. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Carl

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Surge brakes, passenger tire locks backing up

kinda normal. some surge brakes have a pin, that when put in stops the cylinder from moving.

FastFission

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It depends a little on the type of surge brakes you have. Disk brake systems typically have a backing solenoid which prevents the brakes from actuating when you're backing up (the solenoid is connected to the reverse light circuit on the tow vehicle). If this problem is just starting to happen, I'd think the backing solenoid circuit would be a good first thing to check. It could be as simple as corrosion on the trailer plugs or a bad wire. There are often pins you can put in for backing, but I assume you've been able to back up without doing that before?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You should have either an electric or manual brake lockout, made just for this reason.
Gets even more obvious if you have to back up an incline.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Normal, but solvable, as others have said. Pic or model of actuator?

Bullelk34

Recruit

It depends a little on the type of surge brakes you have. Disk brake systems typically have a backing solenoid which prevents the brakes from actuating when you're backing up (the solenoid is connected to the reverse light circuit on the tow vehicle). If this problem is just starting to happen, I'd think the backing solenoid circuit would be a good first thing to check. It could be as simple as corrosion on the trailer plugs or a bad wire. There are often pins you can put in for backing, but I assume you've been able to back up without doing that before?

Thank you sir- I checked the wiring and found the wire connected to the reverse light was broken in the plug. Did a little driveway testing and it seems to be fine. I think I need to get the lockout pin as well, it's mentioned on the actuator but I don't have one.

Thanks everyone for the help-

Thalasso

Commander

kinda normal. some surge brakes have a pin, that when put in stops the cylinder from moving.

If there drum they are free backing. There isn't a pin to put in the actuator. Only on disc brakes.