Timing light not flashing

big-guy

Cadet
94 Evinrude 90hp; I'm trying to set the timing but the timing light won't flash. I try it on my truck and work just fine but won't work on the boat motor. I hook it to the battery, to the starter ground it in different places, clean the induction pick; no luck. I have all the plugs remove and the plug wires ground. What I'M MISSING or doing wrong?

fireman57

Captain
Re: Timing light not flashing

I just use the battery for my timing light leads. With the engine running just clip it on one plug wire at a time. If it is the kind that go into the plug wire then take that plug wire off and stick it in there. I would suggest if it is the kind that go inside a plug wire that you shut the engine off before changing to a different plug.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

94 Evinrude 90hp; I'm trying to set the timing but the timing light won't flash. I try it on my truck and work just fine but won't work on the boat motor. I hook it to the battery, to the starter ground it in different places, clean the induction pick; no luck. I have all the plugs remove and the plug wires ground. What I'M MISSING or doing wrong?

You can't ground the plug wire for the one you're testing. Grounding kills the spark needed to flash the timing light.

big-guy

Cadet

Up date: I was using a remote starter switch and forgot to turn the key to the on position. Thanks guys

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That'll do it. I've been bit that way, too.