repairing a broken radio antenna

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
I stupidly broke my radio antenna going under a low bridge. I'm thinking I'll just slide a piece of PVC over the break and fiberglass it. Anyone else fixed one? You don't have to admit you broke yours; just say it was "a friend."

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: repairing a broken radio antenna

VHF or FM antenna? If it was VHF, I'd replace it. It's a pretty important piece of equipment.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

vhf. it's a 4' and broke the top 10". still works

NYBo

Admiral

If the electrical element is still intact, you should be able to repair it.

flycaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If, when the antenna broke, some of the "wire" was broke, the antenna will work as a receiver, BUT, when using it to transmit, the SWR "Standing Wave Ratio" will change, depending how much of the "wire" has been removed. If the SWR is high the radio could be damaged by transmitting. Best to get it checked out by a reputable company/person who has the equipment to check for proper operation.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

If, when the antenna broke, some of the "wire" was broke, the antenna will work as a receiver, BUT, when using it to transmit, the SWR "Standing Wave Ratio" will change, depending how much of the "wire" has been removed. If the SWR is high the radio could be damaged by transmitting. Best to get it checked out by a reputable company/person who has the equipment to check for proper operation.

the wire is still there; it's just hanging by the wire and it didn't do anything but break the fiberglas surrounding it--does that matter? My plan was to have everything just like it was, same wire, same tip.

NYBo

Admiral

It should work just fine. The antenna is really the wire, not the surrounding structure.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer

if the wire inside is still intact just put a bandage (fiberglass) with Epoxy around. If you want to err on the safe side borrow a SWR meter and check whether it's still in spec.
That's why I only use SS whips..... (GAM). These fiberglass ones break far to easy.

Expidia

Commander

Is it really worth the effort? A quick search even shows an NEW "8" foot shakespeare antenna for $40 bucks. I'm sure you could find a 4 foot even cheaper or even used off craigs list or ebay.

I agree with others . . . Safety equipment in boating is not the place try and save a few dollars :eek:

Just divide how many beers or burgers into the cost of a replacement anntenna you need to give up :)

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I have to completely agree with Expidia on this one. You use that radio for emergency situations (or could anyways) and therefore just buy a new one and go boating again. How important could your emergency be anyway...? Maybe life or death? If you figure in your time and the epoxy or whatever you plan to use for such a repair, you could have just bought a new one and forget all about it then...