1971 50 hp. hydroelectric shift ignition and electrical problems

manveru

Cadet
Hi i have a 1971 hydroelectric shift and am having no spark along with a wiring problem that i probably just created. I wired in a new ignition switch and in the process of double checking it this morning i lost power to the switch itself somehow. Before that it would crank, but i wasn't getting any spark. I have the switch wired red-b, tan-s, 3 purple wires-I, 2 black wires-m black/yellow-m. Also are there any fuses or anything of the sort that would cause a loss of power to the red wire at the ignition switch? thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1971 50 hp. hydroelectric shift ignition and electrical problems

A 20amp power fuse is in one of the small reds wires leading from the starter solenoid.

manveru

Cadet

Yep just found and replaced the fuse, now if my switch wiring is correct, which i think it is i have a no spark problem still to deal with.

manveru

Cadet

ok i'm gonna need help figuring out why i have no spark, this thing looks nothing like a car engine, where are the points?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There are no points. It is MagCD ignition. Disconnect the black/yellow stripe wire and see if you have spark. If not, disconnect same wire at the power pack on the engine and try again. Still no spark? There is something wrong with the ignition system. The system consists of charge coils under the flywheel, the power pack, and a timer sensor, also under the flywheel. It's that simple. All electronic, no moving parts.

BTW, the ignition switch connects the black/yellow wire to ground (black wire) to turn off the ignition when switch is "off"..

manveru

Cadet

i've pulled off the black/yellow stripe wire on both ends, will pull off the flywheel next and clean all grounds. I tested the coils with an ohm meter and there wasn't an open

manveru

Cadet

Cleaned all grounds and still have no spark. have about 290 volts on each of the wires going into the right hand side of powerpack except for the black/yellow that is disconnected, is that within spec? if so what should i test next

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

No spark whatsoever on that model is normally a case of a failed powerpack. Best thing to do is purchase a new one and save a lot of time going thru testing this and that. If that doesn't cure your problem (very unlikely that it won't), it's a good idea to have a spare powerpack on hand with the tools to replace it anyway.