2001 Smokercraft with a water leak

stevecanal

Recruit
I just purchased a 2001 Smokercraft Pro Mag and it takes on significant water in the bilge while sitting at the dock. The plug is in and appears tight, what other sources should I be looking for? I'm thinking the intakes for the live bait tanks may be loose. Any ideas for me?

ajax5240

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2001 Smokercraft with a water leak

Was it docked up at a marina and had got water in it over night? In that case did it rain?

If it wasn't rain water accumulating. Check all the areas bow water line, inlets, outlets, transducer and speedo cables, etc.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Absolutely check - Since this boat is "just purchased"

Lower motor bolts may not be properly sealed.
Drain plug not tight.
Live well lines could be leaking and or drains.
Possible a loose rivet or seam. Remove the boat from the water and do a good visual inspection.

Keep this in mind too......if the boat had been on a trailer and the rain water sat in there.....it might finally be working it's way back to the bilge.

Any sealing of the live well lines should be done with 4000 series sealant which is removable. DO NOT use silicone and if you use 5000 series such as 3m 5200 remember it will be permanent. If you can inspect the hoses for the live wells too.

Consider using an automatic float bilge switch if you are leaving it in the water at dock.

airshot

Rear Admiral

Best way is to grab a flashlight and get down there and stick your nose in and see where it is comming from. Rivet leaks are possible with alum hulls but your description sounds like more than that.

Bullelk34

Recruit

My Smokercraft had a leak like that a few years ago, mines an 03. What I found was I had accidentally bumped on the livewell when it was in the garage. It overheated with no water and cracked the pump housing. So when we launched it took on water. Not a lot, but enough to notice when on a several day trip. Hope you figure it out-