alpha one.. tube vs bellow.

djmakko

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have read a posts that people recommend if you're changing U- Joint bellows and Exhaust bellows "the tube" will be a best replacement instead of exhaust bellow , my question is , I have seen the tube and only have one clamp to attach to the gimbal housing but theres no clamp to the bell housing end, so when you rise and lower the drive no water will come in? how does it seal?

Re: alpha one.. tube vs bellow.

When you shut off the engine, the exhaust tube fills with water, every time. It is not water tight... unlike the U-joint bellows which must remain free of water or you can sink your boat or damage parts.

I went with the bellows instead of the tube, as that was what I had. The whole bellows job sucks as a whole.... it's like trying to put 10-lbs of "you know what" in a 5-lb container, but I don't remember the exhaust bellows being extraordinarily difficult part of it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When you shut off the engine, the exhaust tube fills with water, every time. It is not water tight... unlike the U-joint bellows which must remain free of water or you can sink your boat or damage parts.

Bull, they both get filled with water when the engine is shut off.

The only reason DIYers use the tube is because the tube is easy to install. It's also noisier.

The reason for the tube to begin with was for the big block high HP engines to relieve some of the back pressure going through the drive at higher rpm. No other reason.

Don S

I have seen the tube and only have one clamp to attach to the gimbal housing but theres no clamp to the bell housing end, so when you rise and lower the drive no water will come in? how does it seal?

More clarification. The tube does not clamp to the bellhousing, and there is no need to seal it. The exhaust is the outlet of water from the engine. So it always has water in it.

djmakko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for your wisdom Don, So are you pro tube or against tube? wont hurt anything right?, mine is a small block 350, so maybe there's not enough pressure relief assistance needed, although if its easy to instal instead of bellows i'd say tube.

Don S

Thanks for your wisdom Don, So are you pro tube or against tube? wont hurt anything right?,

I'm neither pro nor con, that's up to you. I just gave you the info of what and why the tube was used. Will it hurt using the tube, no, not if you don't mind the extra noise and black on the transom. Noise and black is all it causes.

I misspoke when I typed.... I meant both the exhaust bellows and/or the exhaust tube both will fill with water..... unlike the Ujoint bellows which must remain dry...

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unrelated but OP noticed you were located in the same place as myself. Glad to see others on here.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

IMHO if the exhaust tube is in reasonably good condition, just reuse it. Use the savings to buy OEM u-joint bellows.

djmakko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd give the tube a try , if doesnt work I can always change it without taking the drive off. easier to instal anyways,