3.0L OMC starter solenoid

mavryk

Seaman
I have a 1988 Larson 18' Bowrider with an OMC 3.0L sterndrive. I am having problem of 0 voltage at the ignition switch. It is an intermittent issue. On minute I have power, gauges/accs/starter cranks, the next nothing. Thought it was a switch issue, ran a 12v jumper from the battery to the switch and determined the switch is fine. One strange thing- immediately before the issue came up, I shut off the ignition switch and the motor continued to run, not diesel, but run like I had not turned off the switch. I am leaning towards the idea that there is something bad in the starter solenoid? If I understand it correctly, power comes from battery to main post on starter solenoid, then feeds power to the ignition switch through one of the other starter solenoid posts so there is always voltage present at the switch. At this point there is 0 volts at ignition switch and 0 volts on either of the smaller two posts on the starter solenoid, and 12volts on the big post that accepts the battery cable.If the solenoid is bad, would it cause this intermittent loss of voltage to the ignition switch? Any other ideas on what to look at?