Thought I'd share with you all...

SynPDX

Seaman Apprentice
So I just bought a used 1998 Capri 1952 for my family. I really dig the boat, but the engine was really rough. I decided to give it a tune up, you know, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter....

Lookie what was in this thing.... (click thumbnail below)

WP_20130629_001.jpg

Oshkosh1

Ensign
Re: Thought I'd share with you all...

LOTS of water...
Better drain the fuel and start anew.
If it doesn't have a fuel/water seperating filter...THIS would be a good time to add one!

SynPDX

Seaman Apprentice

LOTS of water...
Better drain the fuel and start anew.
If it doesn't have a fuel/water seperating filter...THIS would be a good time to add one!

Interesting you say that.... When first purchasing the boat, the seller told me the boat sat for a year. I told him I wanted to get the boat fuel inspected before they start it, and I know it was performed because I footed the bill. The marina told me they checked the fuel at three different access points and there was no water in the fuel.

Perhaps there was 'in the past' and not currently? Not sure... I do know the seller had the boat for eight years and never did anything to keep her running good. I'm thinking this filter is at least 8-10 years old. It may even be the original filter...

How does one go about installing a water separator? I know my boat does 'not' have one...

Thanks!

-Pete

What do you have for an engine? There were several recent threads on adding a Fuel/water separator within the last couple days.... pretty easy add on.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Probably oughta look into rebuildin' the carb too,....

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I'd also be draining the fuel tank and cleaning/replacing the fuel pickup screen and anti-siphon valve.

SynPDX

Seaman Apprentice

Engine is a Mercruiser 3.0L Serial 0L066610

After replacing the filter, plugs, wires, cap, and rotor this thing runs like a serious champ! VERY smooth idle where it was pretty rough before.

I'm sure after seeing the filter, 90% of my rough idle/stalling issues were the that alone.

Is there any harm into just running the engine like it is now and re-checking the fuel filter after 10-20 hours of use to see what it looks like?

Bondo

Staff member

Engine is a Mercruiser 3.0L Serial 0L066610

After replacing the filter, plugs, wires, cap, and rotor this thing runs like a serious champ! VERY smooth idle where it was pretty rough before.

I'm sure after seeing the filter, 90% of my rough idle/stalling issues were the that alone.

Is there any harm into just running the engine like it is now and re-checking the fuel filter after 10-20 hours of use to see what it looks like?

Ayuh,.... No harm, but if ya go with a canister type filter, you'll never need to worry 'bout the others,...

SynPDX

Seaman Apprentice

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

I went with this fuel/water filter-separator kit: Sierra International 18-7775-1 3/8" Marine Aluminum Fuel Water Separator Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive Also, please understand that this is a fuel filter/fuel-water separator.

You will have to rig up your own mounting setup. Here is my before and after:

Before was just a canister with a filter similar to yours in it:
DSCF2040_zps7554571c.jpg

After:
fuelwater_zps8c47d1da.png

fuelwater2_zpsd03340cf.png

I cut down the old mounting bracket and attached some 90 degree pieces of steel with nuts and bolts to get the angle and alignment just right for my setup. Works like a charm.

mercs4mark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow those filters even make the engine look better...it went from blue to black.