First engine restoration - recommendations?

albeit

Recruit
Hey all,

I'm interested in purchasing an old outboard engine to rebuild. I want to take it apart, learn about all parts hands-on, and then put it back together again. I have little experience with engines, and am eager to learn more.

What engines (years/make/model) do you recommend I hunt for? I ideally want one that spare parts and a manual are still available for, and preferably a smaller outboard. If it helps, I'm located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Any other words of wisdom for a 'first-timer' would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: First engine restoration - recommendations?

53-57 johnny rude 10 hp is about as easy as it gets. jmho
dino

nwcove

Admiral

any small omc from 1956 through 1970 would be easy to work on , and most consumable parts are readily available. avoid the 9.5 hp omc's tho, they arent an easy motor to work on! my advice is......compression test before you purchase, and dont try to fix what isnt broken.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go take a look at "LeeRoy's Ramblings"

OMC outboard related articles

Because there's a ton of information there on the different years, and how to work on them. Personally, I'd pick a '74-'92 9.9 or 15 hp. There is more information on these motors (on the "ramblings") than the other years, they are easily found, and parts are easily available.

bbstacker1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think nwcove pretty much nailed it.

albeit

Recruit

Awesome, thanks guys, very helpful. "Leeroy's Ramblings" is a gold mine. Let the hunt begin!

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

only reason i had mentioned the older lines:
ususlly cheaper than later year models
remove the clam shell and the motor has full access
u dont have to remove a recoil starter to work on the carb
resealing the lower unit is simpler than the later years
if you cant find one with the tank, you can always do a single line conversion (really simple)

stay away from the turtle back, i think 68 to 71 (?) it is a low profile motor, very complcated. also the 74-76 has a 2 year run on ignition system.

hope this helps

dino