1988 OMC Cobra ESA cuts spark when grounded

DrEvil

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Guys, I have a 1988 Donzi with an OMC driveline in it. I just replaced the motor, and now it will not start (no spark) I have narrowed it down to the ESA. There are 3 plugs, 1 from the switch (black and blue) one to the dist/power (purp/grey) and one to the unit itself. There is also a ground lug to the intake.

When the ground lug is grounded to the intake, it cuts the coil power down to 9 volts and will not allow it to produce any spark.

If I remove the ground, or the ESA module from the equation, the coil will produce spark.

THe only wire I cannot trace is the purple wire from the 2 pin harness. If that wire is wrong/connected improperly it could be part of the problem. Or.. its a bad ESA. Everything worked before I pulled the old power plant (overheated bad heads).

Thoughts? Im not even sure where I could find a new ESA for this year/make.

Leo Holcomb

Recruit
Re: 1988 OMC Cobra ESA cuts spark when grounded

Hey Guys, I have a 1988 Donzi with an OMC driveline in it. I just replaced the motor, and now it will not start (no spark) I have narrowed it down to the ESA. There are 3 plugs, 1 from the switch (black and blue) one to the dist/power (purp/grey) and one to the unit itself. There is also a ground lug to the intake.

When the ground lug is grounded to the intake, it cuts the coil power down to 9 volts and will not allow it to produce any spark.

If I remove the ground, or the ESA module from the equation, the coil will produce spark.

THe only wire I cannot trace is the purple wire from the 2 pin harness. If that wire is wrong/connected improperly it could be part of the problem. Or.. its a bad ESA. Everything worked before I pulled the old power plant (overheated bad heads).

Thoughts? Im not even sure where I could find a new ESA for this year/make.

Sounds like your ESA is bad, could be the one of the two switches though. When you shift into gear F or R a switch engages and reduces the voltage to the coil to stumble the engine slightly. This switch could be the problem?

partsmitch

Recruit

try this part #933-4051 cdi electronics oem# 984051 I'm having the same problem, I think my interrupter switch is out of adjustment.
Good luck.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Disconnect one of the wires from the shift interrupt switch(one with the arm) and see if you still have your issue.