Martin 45 LU lube question

Sontag1

Cadet
I have a Martin 45 (1954) that I was able to trade for this week. I traded a lawn mower someone had thrown away for the Martin (all the mower needed was a little TLC, and it ran great!). I was telling my father in law (who is in his 70s) about my trade, and he exclaimed, "My dad had a Martin!" I thought that was pretty cool. The previous owner rescued this motor from a trailer of scrap metal. He has used it for a couple of years, but he wanted my mower. :D

I have already talked to Russ Larson, and he has given me a small list of things to check out before I make a parts order. `I have also been reading, reading, reading all I can about this great little motor.

I know that I need Lubriplate 105 in my LU, and I have a brand new tube ready to go.

The other day, I read a thread all about putting the grease in the LU, but I cannot find it again. So I am reaching out to the experts for some advice. I did not want to bother Mr. Larson on a Saturday morning.

The previous owner filled the LU with 90 gear oil, and I drained that it last night. It was black as pitch and there was very little in there. Way less than a 1/4 cup! So here are my questions that I forgot to ask Mr. Larson:

1. Do I need to "clean out" the LU to get all that nasty old oil out before I add the grease?
(I am hesitant about using solvents too much on the old motor)

2. How much grease do I add when I fill the LU? Do I try and get it packed slap full?

The motor is running well overall. I cannot wait to get it on my little 10' Bass Hound and in the water!

Martin.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Martin 45 LU lube question

I hesitate to answer this question, because I certainly don't want to question Mr Larson. But I thought 90 weight Hypoid oil was the correct stuff. However, I can't verify that in writing anywhere, even the Martin service manual. Gotta hand it to Martin though, they were pretty advanced with stainless steel shafts and decent seals.

Personally, I'd just fill it up with 90 oil and run it a few times, then if you feel the need drain & refill with whatever is correct according to Mr Larson.. Just my opinion.

Put the lube in the lower drain/fill plug till it comes out the upper vent plug.

Sontag1

Cadet
Re: Martin 45 LU lube question

I talked to Russ Larson today. He got me squared away on a couple of issues with this motor.

He recommend to fill the LU with John Deer Corn Head Grease. A good substitution would be the grease Lubriplate #105 (I got a tube at NAPA for around $8). He said to get the LU as full of grease as possible, but not so much that you blow out any seals when you tighten the fill and drain screws.

I also asked him about separating the fuel tank into the two halves. He told me to NOT do that unless it was absolutely necessary. He told me to clean it out as good as I could, and then put on a double coat of tank liner. I have the tank off and pretty clean. I have to run a double wash of MEK before I put in the tank liner. I will post a separate thread with pictures when I tackle that job.