cant get shift shaft back in onlower water pump replacement had it bolted up 10 times

bigorangebuggy

Recruit
when i first installed it it was stuck in forward gear so i put it in neutral and lower in neutral and i can get splines to go back in this last time the splines are a lil scarred on the lower what could be wrong im a very capable mechaninc i thought i would remove shaft from upper and install on the lower but i can see how i can get it off under the carb this is a 87 mercury 35 hp on my pontoon boat i spent half a day on a 30 minute job any help would be greatly appreciated i even tried leaving off the reverse lock but that didnt help either the shaft just moves around in the midsection which has been the problem reinstalling it
any help would be gratly apprediated would like to try this out sunday
before i replace the floors and carpet

Iceman66

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: cant get shift shaft back in onlower water pump replacement had it bolted up 10 t

Put them both in forward and try again.

Last edited:

turtles11756

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: cant get shift shaft back in onlower water pump replacement had it bolted up 10 t

there should be a plastic guide installed in the mid section to hold shift shaft in place other wise you will need to hold with finger in place and it's gonna be tuff