Please Help With 1998 Johnson 130hp Ocean Pro

TonyBGT84

Recruit
Hello! Of course, my first post is about a problem (I think).

I have a 1998 Johnson 130 Ocean Pro on a 21'6" Pro-Line. When I bought it, it ran great. Still ran great out in the water. Very hard to start when it was cold, but would fire up every time when it was warmed up.

I thought maybe it needed a different prop due to it running only 4400rpm's at WOT. I was told it needed to be between 5400 and 5600. But the prop is a 15.5x14 already.

I checked the compression and it came up 90-95 on all 4cyls. Is this normal?

I'm mechanically inclined when it comes to cars, but I have not worked on outboards. EDUCATE ME!!:joyous:

Thank You,
Tony

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Please Help With 1998 Johnson 130hp Ocean Pro

4400 is about right when you have lost a cylinders contribution. Check for spark quality and possibly a carb blockage. Also be sure you are getting WOT from the linkages.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Your compression is low, but if it is even on all cylinders, you are fine. Check spark on all cylinders. I run a Johnny 150V6 on my 21 Seaswirl, with a 17" pitch prop. My max RPMs are just a little better than yours, so you are not doing real bad.

TonyBGT84

Recruit

Thanks for the info!

The compression is even across the cylinders BUT I did find a weak spark on one of them.

I'm going to replace that coil and see how she acts. Does that have a lot to do with the cold starting issue?

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the info!

The compression is even across the cylinders BUT I did find a weak spark on one of them.

I'm going to replace that coil and see how she acts. Does that have a lot to do with the cold starting issue?

It can contribute to hard starting along with operator technique

TonyBGT84

Recruit

It can contribute to hard starting along with operator technique

Thank you.

As far as technique, I was just trying to start it the same way I did our old Evinrude 115. Have the choke up until it starts to fire. But that doesn't seem to work with this engine.

Any hints/advice for after I install the new coil?

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

your old 115 may have had a choke, but this one doesn't. You must firm up the primer ball first before attempting a cold start every time. If you don't, there will be no residual fuel pressure for the primer valve to do its job...

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Pump the primer bulb until it's hard. Then push the key in and crank it when starting it. This opens the primer and lets the fuel pump send fuel from the primer to the intake manifold. Holding the key in lets the primer work. By the way, your compression is normal on that mtr.