1975 Johnson 6 hp model 6RL75R Info?

yellowjet

Cadet
Hello, I am looking to find some info on this motor. Is it a short or long shaft? Are the reliable, parts availability good or bad first hand knowledge,etc? The owner inherited it and doesn't know much about it.He told me it will need 1 of the thumb screw hold downs for the transom.Can these and other parts be found?Thank you very much for you time Yellowjet

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 Johnson 6 hp model 6RL75R Info?

That model number is for a short shaft. However, it is possible to install a long shaft kit. If that has been done,, there will be an obvious 5inch extension piece between the lower unit and exhaust housing.

Yes, very reliable. Generally speaking parts are available. In fact many commonly used parts are available right here at iboats. Otherwise, any Evinrude dealer can help you. The clampscrew is a dealer item.

First hand knowledge??? Heck, does having been a full time mechanic at a dealership when it was built help? I was one.

yellowjet

Cadet

That model number is for a short shaft. However, it is possible to install a long shaft kit. If that has been done,, there will be an obvious 5inch extension piece between the lower unit and exhaust housing.

Yes, very reliable. Generally speaking parts are available. In fact many commonly used parts are available right here at iboats. Otherwise, any Evinrude dealer can help you. The clampscrew is a dealer item.

First hand knowledge??? Heck, does having been a full time mechanic at a dealership when it was built help? I was one.

Thank you very much for the quick reply .I am going to look at it tomorrow.Any parts I may need I will purchase from this site.Thanks again

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Not to disagree with F_R, just to add...those clamp screws are pricey. if you are replacing one, check some of the salvage yards listed in the FAQ section.

yellowjet

Cadet

Thanks Tim,I have been looking can not seem to be able to locate 1.Ifanybody have any ideas were to buy a pair of them or at least 1? I would appreciate any input Thanks again great site Yellowjet