New boat owner.....has question on trim and tilt

Trout32in

Recruit
I just bought my first fish and ski boat. A 1988 17 ft Glaston with a 1994 Mercury Force. The first time I used the boat the trim and tilt worked except when the boat was under power (moving). If the motor was trim up at all and I put the throttle down the motor would slam down to the back of the transom. I took the boat to a repair shop they told me that they do not make parts for that trim anymore and I might as well try to look for a new one. Kinda made me sick to my stomach when the guy told me the previous owner had to have known about the problem and I got took. Is there anyone that can help? I have asked around and couple people told me it was a quick fix and could be the check valve. Please help.:confused:

NYBo

Admiral
Re: New boat owner.....has question on trim and tilt

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

It sounds like the shop just didn't want to be bothered. Try posting your question here: Force & Chrysler Outboards

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Probably correct- the PO most likely knew of the problem and it should have been noticed during the sea trial. Too late for all that now so time too look for parts. Possibly no longer made so you will be searching outboard bone yards. Your part is out there but it may take quite a search.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Well, first of all clarify a bit. I don't think even the single ram tilt systems were designed to handle power at full tilt. The single ram is most likely a two stage one where more hydraulic power is developed at the first 1/4 or less of travel (trim) then it rises faster to tilt, but does not have enough mechanical advantage to do so under power. FIRST, Check that the plastic manual release valve is screwed all the way into the valve body (below the pump)

It could be something as simple as a bad O ring in the check valves or the cylinder. OR it could be something expensive like the plastic manual release valve (60-70 bucks.

Go to the Force forum and contact RRitt. He repairs all types of tilt systems and is usually reasonable in price.

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer

Of course the parts are available. Someone is pulling your leg. I have a 1972 Sea Ray with a Mercruiser 165 and a very old sterndrive. I have had no problem getting parts. Find a shop in your area that specializes in Mercury. Or you can get some parts through iboats or other on-line parts sellers. Try go2marine, or Lighthouse marine supply. I have gotten parts from all of them, and a few others like Summit Racing. I bought an electronic distributor from them for a 40 year old engine. Fortunately my trim and tilt works fine but i suspect that won't last forever so I am still finding sources for parts.

Trout32in

Recruit

Well, first of all clarify a bit. I don't think even the single ram tilt systems were designed to handle power at full tilt. The single ram is most likely a two stage one where more hydraulic power is developed at the first 1/4 or less of travel (trim) then it rises faster to tilt, but does not have enough mechanical advantage to do so under power. FIRST, Check that the plastic manual release valve is screwed all the way into the valve body (below the pump)

It could be something as simple as a bad O ring in the check valves or the cylinder. OR it could be something expensive like the plastic manual release valve (60-70 bucks.

Go to the Force forum and contact RRitt. He repairs all types of tilt systems and is usually reasonable in price.

I tried to look for RRitt I cannot find him. Can someone help.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Find a shop in your area that specializes in Mercury.

Which is the problem, there are no shops that specialize in force... That is a force engine wearing mercury clothing, it has very little mercury tech in it. (mercury bought force and the chyrsler assets, merc never actually produced really anything for ports for them before killing off the line) That is generally the reason people recommend staying away from anything related to force, parts availability is sketchy at best.

OP, re-read franks' post above... You may not actually have a problem.

Last edited:

Trout32in

Recruit

I tried to look for the manual release valve and I could not locate it.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As Frank noted above, you're problem could be (and probably is) just an o-ring, either in the ram or in the pump. A leaky o-ring may seal plenty well enough to raise the outboard by itself, especially since they're fairly weight balanced as it is. But as soon as you add some prop thrust, the o-ring won't handle the high pressure and the fluid blows past it, and the drive comes down with a whack. Rams and trim pumps are pretty simple devices, and not all that difficult to take apart.