greasing volvo penta gimble bearing

rfreier

Recruit
hi all newbie ron here, i have a 2001 Volvo penta DP out drive and want to service the gimble bearing myself. my question is do i have to remove the stren drive to do it or can it be done by using the zert fitting on the side of the out drive?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: greasing volvo penta gimble bearing

You can use the zirk on the outside, but that only does the gimbal bearing. You still have to pull the drive to check the alignment and grease the coupler splines. Don't want to pull the engine to replace the coupler do you????

Plus when you pull the drive, you get to check for water in the bellows (That runs in to big $$$$$) You can also grease the gimbal bearing and pump till you get new grease, turn the bearing and repeat. Then clean up the excess grease.

PS bellows should be replaced every 5 or 6 years. Called preventive maintenance.

rfreier

Recruit
Re: greasing volvo penta gimble bearing

You can use the zirk on the outside, but that only does the gimbal bearing. You still have to pull the drive to check the alignment and grease the coupler splines. Don't want to pull the engine to replace the coupler do you????

Plus when you pull the drive, you get to check for water in the bellows (That runs in to big $$$$$) You can also grease the gimbal bearing and pump till you get new grease, turn the bearing and repeat. Then clean up the excess grease.

PS bellows should be replaced every 5 or 6 years. Called preventive maintenance.

thank you. do i have to remove the gimbal housing?