Merc 1150 Tower of Power Dies when put in gear

Danny C

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Quick question - I finally got my motor running well and has run that way for a year or two until I had to replace my lower unit a few weeks ago. I always thought it idled a little high so the mechanic made some adjustments while he had it. It idles much lower now which is a good thing but when I go to launch and put it in gear (reverse or forward) it will die. I believe it may just not be warmed up completely yet. I can get around this by, when I drop it into gear, giving it gas, but that is a practice I do not want to get a customed to, especially at the ramp. I also like to get launched and out of the way asap so waiting around for the engine to warm up is not an option for me. As the day goes on ( and engine warms up) it becomes less of an issue. I believe this should be a pretty easy fix of adjusting either the idle stop or the throttle cable. Before I do I wanted to see if anyone had any thought. Am I headed in the right direction. Which should I adjust first? I do not think I will be able to tell on the muffs whether this issue is better or not so I want to make my best guesses before I drop it in the water tomorrow. I have no way of telling what RPMs I am at.( I want to be clear that the mechanic did a great job on everything but I think I just may need to tweak the adjustments some)

Thanks

Edit: its an '83