Engine "coughs" and shuts off when trying to get on plane, but starts right back up

Bassman42

Seaman
Engine "coughs" and shuts off when trying to get on plane, but starts right back up

I have a 1997-1998 115 HP Evinrude which every time I try to get on plane the engine makes a cough/struggling type noise and shuts off. It chokes and then it shakes and then it's off. Sometimes it won't even idle, and most of the time it's when we try to trim the motor all the way down. But it's a hit or miss. Sometimes it won't do it at all for the day but then does it at night. But the engine cranks right up with no problem at all.

fireman57

Captain
Re: Engine "coughs" and shuts off when trying to get on plane, but starts right back

Re: Engine "coughs" and shuts off when trying to get on plane, but starts right back

Sounds like your fuel line may be getting pinched when you trim your engine down. Oh, I almost forgot, welcome to iboats.

Bassman42

Seaman

Well the worst of it does happen when it's trimmed, but now even when it's trimmed up it still won't idle, but cranks right up just like that!

fireman57

Captain

When is the last time that you cleaned your carbs. I know that everyone says that on here but it is true. If it always cranks up and it wil idle most of the time then it sounds like it is a fuel delivery problem and most of the time it is a dirty carb. If you can tell us a little more about what it is doing that would help.

Bassman42

Seaman

Well.... About 10 years. Haven't been able to afford it, but I have put in countless gallons of sea foam in it just to top it off you know. I haven't been able to afford getting the carbs fully cleaned out

Bassman42

Seaman

When it first started, it sounded like it was running off of 3 cylinders instead of four. And then at one point trying to get up on plane you give it full throttle and it still doesn't get up on plane. The front starts to rise and that's it til it finally gives in and gets up on plane

fireman57

Captain

You can clean them yourself, just take your time and take pics of the linkages so you hook them back up properly. When it does this have a buddy with a timing light see if you are losing spark on one or more cylinders. You may not be running on all of them all the time. One other thing to try is when it does this have a buddy pump the primer bulb repeatedly. If it picks up then your fuel pump is weak.

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a late 70’s model Evinrude 140 that had a very similar, if not the same problem. I had a mind of its own and when it would act up it would start fine, begin to take off and then flat on its face and would usually die. It would start right back up. And yes, I remember the trim sometimes made a difference.

What was happening was: the electric choke system is a gravity return to no-choke position (I think there is a small spring in there but not much pull). Sometimes it would open up after choking it and sometimes it wouldn’t. It turns out the plunger on the solenoid has a groove in it that keeps it in line and then a small rod to the butterfly mechanism. The rod was twisted slightly and had the choke system in a slight bind. I took it apart and tweaked the rod so it wasn’t binding and the choke fell open like it was supposed to.

How I found it was after it died one time I snatched the cover off along with the air intake shroud and found the choke stuck on. I popped (tapped) the choke system with my finger and almost every time it returned open. It wasn’t until I took the choke linkage apart that I found the binding. Been running fine since.

Bassman42

Seaman
I know this is old, this was my uncles boats the time, now it's actually mine. The Powerhead had 2 leaky head gaskets, a bad fuel pump, missing thermostat, and eventually had a rod bearing failure and the Powerhead blew. Now it's got a remanufactured powerhead