Johnson 150 fuel pump

rlouis5

Cadet
I have a 1979 Johnson 150 with a fuel pump problem..it acts like it is running out of fuel ,,,I removed the fuel pumps and replaced the valves and gaskets including the diaphragm but all looked good...and still having a problem
I also have a 1978 Johnson 175 that looks identical to the 150. The fuel lines on the 150 go first to the upper fuel pump and the 175 is just the opposite..the fuel lines go from the tank to the lower pump first...does it make a difference which pump..upper or lower receives fuel from the tank first? or is the 150 fuel lines in the wrong place?? thank you in advance
Robert Molet

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: Johnson 150 fuel pump

On my 87 150 Johnny the fuel goes to the upper pump first and it runs fine I have no idea if it should matter which gets it first as long as it runs like it's supposed to. Others will chime in i'm sure.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 150 fuel pump

You need to check out the original factory parts diagram at this website: epc.brp.com You will find the fuel delivery (tank) hose goes to the upper pump first. The outflow of that upper pump goes into a j-hose which will feed the inlet of the lower pump. Both pumps are the same part number. When ordering, the pumps are a different number, as one of the pumps comes with that j-hose, so it's technically not the same part number. Keep in mind any original hoses on either engine are not ethanol compliant. They will eventually dissolve internally, causing bits of black hose to migrate down into the carb jets-causing problems. Bombardier does not make factory repair kits for these pumps. Maybe there is a reason....