Centering on bow roller

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've been having a tough time getting my boat centered on the bow roller. It seems to always want to go to the port side. It's a 2007 Seaswirl 210 bowrider on a matching EZ-Loader trailer. It is nice and centered on the keel. The trailer has 4 bunks, (beginning at the keel) the two outside bunks are short and the two inside bunks run further forward. As you can tell in the pictures, the inside bunks have a little gap but are centered. All trailer components are from the factory and have not been modified.

You can tell from the pictures that the bow roller from the factory is pretty small compared to some others I've seen. Also, a lot of boats have a pretty definitive "V" shape to the hull up at the front which I imagine helps them center on the roller. The area around the bow eye on my boat is very flat so it doesn't work itself into center very well. As you can tell, this wears on the winch strap until it started tearing last week. I'm going to order a new strap, but before I did that I wanted to see if a different roller would help. Or maybe technique, lining it up by hand as I crank the winch. Thanks for the input.

20130627_170056.jpg
20130627_171715(0).jpg
20130627_171738.jpg

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Centering on bow roller

Can't tell from the pics,but if the bunks can be moved in or out,you can adjust them to center it better,and adjust to get rid of the gap's.
Measure where the bunk's are now to the frame,I but they are different. And yes you can get a better bowstop.
Grub

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks grub. Bunks are welded into place, and pretty centered. I was hoping to find a flatter bow roller that would hold the front of the boat better.

haulnazz15

Captain

I may be the picture, but is the winch post/winch perfectly centered? I know they have V-shaped bow stops, but that seems like a band-aid on the problem of the boat not sitting straight or the winch being angled a bit.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes that's just the camera angle sorry. Winch and post are lined up.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I'd bet a grand that the bunks are not aligned with the winch post, or the winch post mount is not squared up.

If the rear of the bunks were just 1/2" out of alignment......

I hate companies that make cost cutting (fixed bunk mounts) a priority over making a quality product.
It would probably be a great custom perfectly match trailer, if they had set their jigs properly.

I think this will take more than just a wider bow stop roller.

bassman284

Commander

Well, I guess it's just camera angle, but i sure looks to me like everything that I can see is lined u except the winch post. Maybe some shots square on from the rear?

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Some times when a boat doesn't go on the trailer correctly it is because the trailer is usually too far in the water and then the boat more or less floats on to the trailer instead of guided on. Not saying this is what is happening here, but it could be... Any trailer can be made to load any boat in a certain fashion or point. You could even change the bow guides to force the boat to the center. Just takes a few bumpers and some ingenuity...

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I should clarify, a couple weeks ago I did get it straight on with no problems. But more often than not it is pointing port like in this picture. As I pull out of the water I always check the bunks at the keel and they are where they should be. It's almost like, even when correctly placed on the bunks, the bow can be manipulated several inches in each direction. So it's not being "forced" to the center while loading. I could probably force it to the middle while winching but that is tough when doing this solo.

I can take another picture, more straight this time, to show that the winch and post are squared up with the rest of the trailer.

GM, I had a habit of putting the trailer too far in the water all of last year. I've since gotten a better idea of where to put it, and error on the shallow side. That way I can get it on the bunks and then try winching up. If I can't winch it, I'll back up another 6" so that I can finish winching. As it comes out of the water I check to make sure the bunks at the keel are properly positioned.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I should clarify, a couple weeks ago I did get it straight on with no problems. But more often than not it is pointing port like in this picture. As I pull out of the water I always check the bunks at the keel and they are where they should be. It's almost like, even when correctly placed on the bunks, the bow can be manipulated several inches in each direction. So it's not being "forced" to the center while loading. I could probably force it to the middle while winching but that is tough when doing this solo.

I can take another picture, more straight this time, to show that the winch and post are squared up with the rest of the trailer.

GM, I had a habit of putting the trailer too far in the water all of last year. I've since gotten a better idea of where to put it, and error on the shallow side. That way I can get it on the bunks and then try winching up. If I can't winch it, I'll back up another 6" so that I can finish winching. As it comes out of the water I check to make sure the bunks at the keel are properly positioned.

skydive, don't get me wrong, I didn't say you were not setting the trailer in the water correctly. I just stated that I once had similar issues until I pulled the trailer out a little further and made the boat drive onto the trailer. It then forced the boat to go on straighter in my case. And I don't know if you ever saw them or not, but some folks add little bunks on a rail on the front of the trailer so that the bow has to hit them and force it to the center. I've seen some that looked exactly like little bunks with carpet attached. Just some info... :joyous:

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Assuming there's some adjustment to the position of the winch post, I would try to add some thin shims where the winch post clamps to the tongue. I had to realign mine that way. A 3" center tube with a 1/8" shim wedged into the post attachment will offset a 24" high post about an inch. Otherwise, there's a twist in the tube or it needs a twist in the tube. I'm guessing it's only a coincidence that your jack is sitting on the side that promotes this bad alignment. - Grandad

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Your winch strap is pulled to the port. I would try completely unrolling it, make sure the clamp is that holds it on is straight and rewind it under tension before I did anything else.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer

I had a similar problem with my boat until a few weeks ago. The ramp I use is very shallow and hangs to one side. Boat always touches the bunks on one side first and then turns.
Installed 5ft long side bunks and now I just drive on and winch the last few inches. Perfectly centered every time I tried so far.....