1975 Evinrude 50 hp question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thunnus69

Seaman Apprentice
I've gone through the basics and got this running pretty well. I just got an impeller and need to install this. Since I don't have a pee strream is there any indication that it's pumping water? I'm going to be safe and change the impeller every year. Anything else I should be doing to be on the safe side?
Lastly, does anyone have a recommendation for better performing spark plugs for this motor?
Thanks much.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 Evinrude 50 hp question.

You can always install a Tale Tell (pee tube) to verify the pump is working. Lots of folks have done it on here. I even installed one on my '76 Johnson 40 HP engine without any problems. So do a little search for that Tale Tell install and follow the instructions...

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

I've gone through the basics and got this running pretty well. I just got an impeller and need to install this. Since I don't have a pee strream is there any indication that it's pumping water? I'm going to be safe and change the impeller every year. Anything else I should be doing to be on the safe side?
Lastly, does anyone have a recommendation for better performing spark plugs for this motor?
Thanks much.

Do you have the factory service manual (not to be confused w/ Clymer or Seloc)?

Here's what gm280 is referring to: Johnson/evinrude adding a tell tale .

Another item that requires periodic changing is the thermostat however I wouldn't order anything until you get it apart...you may need parts for the pressure release valve as well (particularly the grommet)...I was going to say that it was an easy change but after looking at your parts diagram, yours appears to be behind the cylinder head cover...be very careful removing those 1/4" cylinder head cover bolts if you do decide to dive-in. Breaking one-or-more of those off makes the job considerably larger.

Regarding spark plugs, most use the recommended champion but gap them at 0.030" instead of 0.040".

Fuel pump & carb servicing should also be in your more frequent servicing schedule...improper fuel delivery is also improper lubricant delivery...but since you say it's running well, maybe you can delay that for a season or 2.

bmeier

Recruit

I believe I have the same motor model number 50573B. It his is my first boat and I am totally clueless. Is this motor a two or four stroke. If a two stroke what ratio should I mix gas.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Bmeier, Read the rules at the top of the forum and stick to one post and don't Hi-Jack another!!! Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.