My ugly old V6

I just picked up a 1978 Evinrude 150 V6, which now works and sounds awesome!
The kicker is that someone painted it a hideous blue color that I cannot stand. Honestly I think it was painted with cheap Walmart spray paint.

I am trying to find pics of the original motor so I can restore it to its intended color. Haven't contacted Evinrude yet, but though someone might have some more insight.
Although, a good flame job might be in order!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: My ugly old V6

I just picked up a 1978 Evinrude 150 V6, which now works and sounds awesome!
The kicker is that someone painted it a hideous blue color that I cannot stand. Honestly I think it was painted with cheap Walmart spray paint.

I am trying to find pics of the original motor so I can restore it to its intended color. Haven't contacted Evinrude yet, but though someone might have some more insight.
Although, a good flame job might be in order!

First of all welcome to iboats :welcome: always great to have another boater aboard...

You could try a little lacquer thinner on a small patch of the hideous blue paint to possibly see what is under neath. Could revile what the original color was. There are also places on the web that will give you the original color codes for your engine as well. But I repainted my engine project and the PPG Auto paint shop I bought my paint from didn't have any codes for any marine colors... I repainted mine gloss black with a unique designed cowling with six different colors for a fresh new look. My 1976 Johnson engine was green, I didn't like it... So now it's gone... Here is a picture of the cowling I repainted;

Boat-100.jpg

So let your designs flow and see what happens... Also post pictures of your engine projects. I know I'd love to see them...

Re: My ugly old V6

Thanks for the welcome! Your cowling looks nice!
I will post a pic of my existing cowling, etc. as soon as I can. It is hard to tell because the cowling still has the original band decals and emblems, but the cowling is a mix of steel gray and some blue. I think the lower unit must have been possibly white at some point, but will try to strip it to see.

As I really get into this project, I will try to document as much as possible. It is on a 1977 Intruder Aquarius. Someone has ripped the bow seating out and fiberglassed a platform over the seat mounts and storage areas. I just pulled that up and am going to try and build new seat bases up front.

Surprisingly enough, a new battery and new fuel lines cranked this beast up within minutes. And this motor has sat for 2 years untouched.

I am only willing to put some effort into this whole project since I picked up the boat, motor and trailer for $500.00. A little TLC and some minor fiberglass work and she will be water worthy.

Now.... the tilt/trim problem is a whole other issue. I about blew a frustrated artery out last night!